Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Telephone cable - guidance

inthegarage

I've an old vintage telephone that requires a new cable to attach it to a wall with a RJ45 connector.
It has:
1 White.
2. Green.
3. Blue
4. Red

I've a new plug kit and that also mentioned these colours in that order.

I'm no expert in these things, but a typical NEW 2 pair 4 core wire seems to now have:

a-wire: WHITE-Blue, WHITE-Orange,
b-wire: BLUE-White, ORANGE-White,

Or similar.

Can I assume 1= a(1), 2 = a(2), 3 = b(1) and 4 = b(2)

Like I said I'm no expect, maybe someone can direct me to the correct cable, which may save time and discussion.

As usual cheers for your help!

You might have a look here:

and here:

However, it's perhaps a little late now?, as POTS is in the process of ending, being replaced by digital phone via the Internet - with your 'landline' phone then plugging in the router - I suspect an antique phone might require too much current from the telephone line?.

Can I assume 1= a(1), 2 = a(2), 3 = b(1) and 4 = b(2)

Like I said I'm no expect, maybe someone can direct me to the correct cable, which may save time and discussion.
The convention standard is that Blue & white pair go to the middle two contacts on an RJ, the orang & white to the next outer pair. That's normally on an RJ11 or RJ12 style connector with four contacts.

However, if it is actually an RJ45 (8 contact) with four wires starting at one side, it's not connected to any standard I've seen?

Ethernet wiring using RJ45s traditionally have the middle pair a the blue & white, for dual use of fixed wiring - that pair (& brown pair) were not used prior to gigabit ethernet.

I suspect an antique phone might require too much current from the telephone line?.
Yes, there could be a problem for the internet phone interface to drive the mechanical ringer.
Also it may not recognize dial pulses, if it's a dial phone.

The convention standard is that Blue & white pair go to the middle two contacts on an RJ, the orang & white to the next outer pair. That's normally on an RJ11 or RJ12 style connector with four contacts.

However, if it is actually an RJ45 (8 contact) with four wires starting at one side, it's not connected to any standard I've seen?

Ethernet wiring using RJ45s traditionally have the middle pair a the blue & white, for dual use of fixed wiring - that pair (& brown pair) were not used prior to gigabit ethernet.
My home is wired exclusively with RJ45 outlets for internet OR phone. The RJ11 plugs fit perfectly into the RJ45 jack and the cables all run to a common box where they are plugged into an appropriate telephone or internet switch.

My home is wired exclusively with RJ45 outlets for internet OR phone. The RJ11 plugs fit perfectly into the RJ45 jack and the cables all run to a common box where they are plugged into an appropriate telephone or internet switch.
Completely standard.

627e2d542071f45f544f7acc65c86299.jpg

The RJ11 fits centrally, connects to pins 3-6, the line 1 & line 2 pairs.
It does not connect to the OUTER pairs, just the centre two.

to attach it to a wall with a RJ45 connector.
It has:
1 White.
2. Green.
3. Blue
4. Red

That is NOT how yours is wired - 1 & 2 would not connect to an RJ11, 3 & 4 would each connect to one leg of a pair.

Either the OP has confused connector types, or it is a very non-standard setup.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back