Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

technique on cmos installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

mozikluv

:?: can anyone advice me on simple techniques on how to install cmos devices like CD4093 or CD4027 which am going to use to assemble a transistor, scr & diode tester. i know this device is sensitive to static energy and i plan to used a socket as advised. is there a simple way of installing without destroying the device. thanx :cry:

static

The key is to make sure you're at the same potential as the devices you're handling. Wrist-bands and working on anti-static mats connected to a good earth ground are the preferred methods of achieving this. You are much safer handling these devices in the warm, humid climate of the Phillipines than those of us up in the northern lattitudes during the dry winter months. If you lack the recommended anti-stat equipment, try to work on a (semi)conductive surface, and touch the metal leg of your table, for ex. with your finger before handling CMOS devices. If your workstation has to be located on carpeting (not good for minimizing static charge buildup), take your shoes and socks off. It sounds silly, but getting rid of the rubber soles goes a long way towards dissipating any static charge buildup in your body. Again, I'm not sure how much of a problem you'd encounter being in such a humid climate. Hope this helps - CAL

Static

You also in Philippines? We don't have any problem here of static build up, unless you're working in a very cold room. Btw, try to use static strap in your arms. Or always discharge before handling CMOS devices.

:)

cmos installation

:( ok, thanx, my work station is in an air con room, with wooden floor and my work table is made of wood. i'll take the advice of not wearing rubber sole shoes or rubber slipper, better yet work bare foot, right? now, since am going to use ic socket i wont have a problem that my hot iron touching the leg of the ic, but once i take the device out of the foil, can i touch the leg with my bare hand to staighten out the leg to conform with the socket hole? pls. advise. :D

bare feet and CMOS

It's actually a pretty good low-tech way of preventing static charge buildup, though you run the risk of getting some slivers in your case :wink:. I've used this simple method for over 25 yrs. when working with 4000 series devices at home (usually on carpeting), and have never damaged a device; well, not from static discharge anyway! It's worth investing in a small anti-static mat and wrist-guard if you're planning to do a lot of work with CMOS devices. As far as straightening pins, get some fine tipped long-nose pliers.

It's hard to imagine you have static problems in the Phillipines, just remember that ambient humidity makes a big difference (very dry air = static charge buildup). Semiconductive static mats are a good idea, since you can discharge any static buildup by touching it before handling a CMOS device. Wrist-bands are even better, but they're kind of like wearing a bicycle helmet. You know it's a good idea for safety, but they're cumbersome.

-CAL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back