Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

TEAC LP-R400 CD Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Warlord_1011

I recently purchased a TEAC LP-R400 on ebay stated as faulty, now I decided to take it on to attempt to fix it.

Basically the fault is, when you go to use the CD Playback feature it attempts to read the disc, the motor spins up (i confirmed this when i opened the unit up), after a short while it shows "Err 04", now in the user manual it states that to fix any error I must switch it off and after 1 minute switch it back on and try it.

This fix doesnt help so i imagine its a hardware issue inside.

Does anyone know what Error 04 is caused by? anyone work on TEAC units?

Thanks in advance

Do you know anyway I could fix it? I Just checked a replacement drive is around £210!!!

It depends what's available, on some units you can replace just the laser assembly, but many only supply the complete mech - which isn't a bad idea, as you get the motors replaced as well (which do fail sometimes).

However, CD writers generally only supply the complete mech, and in this case may even be a complete module, similar to a PC CD drive.

Presumably the original owner put it on Ebay because he knew how expensive it was to repair?.

would it be any cheaper to take it to a repair shop? surely they would get the part at the traders price instead of the consumer price? I know thye would then charge a installment fee but im sure thats less than CHS' mark up

would it be any cheaper to take it to a repair shop? surely they would get the part at the traders price instead of the consumer price? I know thye would then charge a installment fee but im sure thats less than CHS' mark up

They would probably charge you the same price as CHS would, that's the service agents profit on the spares.

Right ive been looking inside it again today, and I noticed a Model number on the CD drive itself its at "SF-W37SGT Ver 1209" drive, now a quick google search says that is a Sanyo drive, if I could get hold of one, perhaps I could slot it in? Any Ideas where I could get one?

Right ive been looking inside it again today, and I noticed a Model number on the CD drive itself its at "SF-W37SGT Ver 1209" drive, now a quick google search says that is a Sanyo drive, if I could get hold of one, perhaps I could slot it in? Any Ideas where I could get one?

None at all, other than as a Teac spare.

It sounds like a disc read error. Sometimes you can solve these by increasing the laser power slightly. The IREDs that pump the laser have some power degradation over time just like LEDs have lumen degradation. If you can locate a tiny trimmer potentiometer and increase the current by a few milliamps, that may solve it for some time. You don't have much to lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back