Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Bose Wave Radio-CD Skips, and I had to mess with it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vons Garage

Good morning friends.
All three of these Wave radios in the house just don't like to play CD's. Very hit or miss. Optics clean, disks OK.
I followed the advice of a YouTube video and fiddled with a pot on the transport PCB. I believe the statement from the video was "this increases the laser output". Seems logical. Tweaked up a tiny amount.
Two of the three survived my idiotic attempt at repair. The third now refuses to play; 100% failure of CD playback; even when I return the pot to its original position. The other two are as flakey as before. -sigh-
I then checked this great site and see advise on recapping. Something to look into.
But my question is it possible anyone has heard of adjusting the output of a CD laser? I found the schematic and have searched and searched for the adjustment pot. Not shown. "LD" is the laser diode. Any idea of the proper voltage? 2.5 volts? Or is it as I fear something that is set using optical sensors?
And was this a lesson! CD players are pretty complicated!
Thanks for looking. Chris
1677409953601.png

And here is a snip from the service manual about the laser power:
1677410205484.png

Laser power is set via a 'laser power meter', the setting is VERY, VERY critical, and mis-adjustment easily and quickly destroys the laser diode. It's something which is only set once, mostly these days during manufacture, and should never be touched again.

Obviously there's no 'proper voltage', and it would be really silly to try and adjust one for that - it's adjusted to give the correct power (during manufacture), and that's it.

Very old CD players sometimes required the laser power setting if you replaced the optical assembly, but that's not been the case for a very long time.

The most likely issue is that the laser/optical assembly needs replacing, it's by far the most common problem with CD Players.

Bear in mind you've most probably lost nothing, the laser/optical assembly is probably duff anyway, so making it worse is no loss.

Thank you Mr. Goodwin for the reply. As I feared, I toasted my CD Player because I did not check with my experts here on this incredible forum. Excellent information you have provided for all future tweakers - leave the darn thing alone!
One good thing; Bose wisely provided AUX input jacks on the back. I pulled out a Discman, dusted it off, hooked her up, and away we go!

Thank you Mr. Goodwin for the reply. As I feared, I toasted my CD Player because I did not check with my experts here on this incredible forum. Excellent information you have provided for all future tweakers - leave the darn thing alone!
One good thing; Bose wisely provided AUX input jacks on the back. I pulled out a Discman, dusted it off, hooked her up, and away we go!

Unfortunately Bose is vastly over priced cheap Chinese gear, with a lack of spares or service availability :(

It's no coincidence that Bose don't advertise in Audio magazines, nor provide items for review - instead they advertise in glossy 'life style' magazines instead.

Most of the trade won't accept Bose equipment for repair.

In my day of cd repair 20+ years ago
The drive motor for the disc bearing goes dry.
Adding a little oil on the bearing where the shaft is would get them working..
Could Try that. Dont remove anything
The drive for the disc on the shaft is a set height.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back