Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Talking Voltmeter!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmv

Hi there,

I've found an interesting circuit on techlib.com last day. It's a talking voltmeter (**broken link removed**). It uses PIC16F876-04/SP. I want to build it. But, in my locality that PIC is not available. So, can you suggest any alternative. Can I use PIC16F876A-I/SP? Please suggest me what to do. I've selected this one as a college project for my brother and need to complete it as soon as possible as we are running out of time.

Thanks!!

Look at the data sheet, the answers will be there. From my own understanding, either will be fine. Though it is best to check first.

Instead of grabbing a project off the net and trying to pass it off as original do a real project.

This would be a good starting point. Use a dsPIC with an ADC of 14 bits and enough memory to hold decent sound. Use Microchips sound libs. That sort of thing.

Last edited:
A science fair kind of thing is being conducted in his college next week. My bro is interested in electronics. He asked for my help to select any model. There is no compulsion that the project should be our own idea as he is informed by his teacher. He's just an intermediate first year (Grade 11) student.

I've checked the datasheets, pinout is same for both the micros, memory is same. I feel that i can go with 16F876A. What do you guys say, shall I proceed?

There both the same. PIC16F876-04/SP The 4 means it was to use a 4 mhz osc

The 16F876A is just a newer chip basically the changes was it will use up to a 20 mhz osc

Well there is a little more as i just looked at the migration guide to the A I have used both with the same code

dougy83 posted a pdf that had it all in it. have a look you should have no problem using the newer chip.

Last edited:
There both the same. PIC16F876-04/SP The 4 means it was to use a 4 mhz osc

The 16F876A is just a newer chip basically the changes was it will use up to a 20 mhz osc
Strictly, they are not the same. The above migration document outlines the differences. For the purpose of the above project, I don't think the changes will cause an issue however.

Thanks a lot dougy83.
Migration guide really helps me. I'll buy 16F876A today and start building it. If I face any problem, I'll come back again.
Thanks guys!!

Bro....i doing tis talking voltmeter (Karen's Corner) alos for my project......now i have the PIC 16F876A..but i dono how to change the coding (can i have you coding pls)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back