Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Table Look-ups

Status
Not open for further replies.
Small typo? 16F1828 and 16F1829?

They have some interesting new instructions, including not only what you mention, but for my immediate purposes, expanded shift routines. Like, LSRF that places a zero in the MSB and ADDSFR. They are definitely worth trying out.

I will be ordering parts for the display module as well as the 12F1840 on Monday. I am concerned about programmability with my aging PicStart Plus, and I will also have to check for updates later today.

I noticed in the product selection tool that a small number of 16F chips have "graphical LCD" built-in support (16F913/916; 16F914/917; and 16F946). The 946 is TQFP only, so I will avoid if for now.

Do you have any opinion about that new functionality in the 16F91x series?

John

It maybe moot. Just updated my PicStartPlus to version 4.50.11 from 4.30.03. Neither the 12F1840 nor 16F1828/1829 are supported. The 16F91x/946 are supported.

I will call Microchip tomorrow, but I suspect I am stuck for new adventures with the 16F91x series. I sure would like to try those newer chips.

John

Small typo? 16F1828 and 16F1829?

They have some interesting new instructions, including not only what you mention, but for my immediate purposes, expanded shift routines. Like, LSRF that places a zero in the MSB and ADDSFR. They are definitely worth trying out.

I will be ordering parts for the display module as well as the 12F1840 on Monday. I am concerned about programmability with my aging PicStart Plus, and I will also have to check for updates later today.

I noticed in the product selection tool that a small number of 16F chips have "graphical LCD" built-in support (16F913/916; 16F914/917; and 16F946). The 946 is TQFP only, so I will avoid if for now.

Do you have any opinion about that new functionality in the 16F91x series?

John
I finally got around to driving a bare glass lcd (4 dgt. Lumex S401C71TR) with the 16f917. The '917 only does 24 segments in static mode, and that Lumex part is a static display, so only three digits. Tried to get 3 1/2 digits with some trickery, but couldn't get it to work. So be careful on the display selection that meets your needs.

EDIT: Now I remember, I tried to hijack the two unused dp's to create the 1/2 dgt "1". Still might work?

Last edited:
I am just kind of daydreaming, but a display like this is what I am thinking of:
**broken link removed**

Envision that with a little tractor icon and pallet forks. The forks would move to show whether they were displaced up or down, and a number would show tilt in degrees or deflection in inches at the tip. That New Haven display is NHD-12864MZ-FSW-BGW-L. I am totally new to such displays, so any recommendations are appreciated.

If such graphics end up being too big a stretch for me, I will just revert to my 2X16 LCD from Parallax and show numbers.

John

The KS0108B controller on that display is super common, and code snippets should be a plenty. Extra rom and ram would be nice to read from tables (icons) and write to the screen using buffers. I used a 18f4620 for this type of display, should be plenty of other options out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back