Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switching AC

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you want to use a MOSFET circuit, and therefore have the floating 24VAC, you can do it without the 2 diode voltage drops by using two N MOSFETS with gate and source connected together; the two drains connect to the 24VAC supply and load, respectively.

had to slightly alter my focus! i had some eggs in a commercial incubator so i could see what i liked on the commercial units and what i thought needed to be improved, but i messed my timing up and thought i had 3 days left before the hatch! but i didnt. So last night out they popped, so today i have to get a brooder sorted properly! eventually i have a temp controlled one in mind that will work from a central heat bank to a small number of units. main reason is we have been warned here that we get alot of power outs that can last anything upto a day, so far we have had three already although the longest was only 9 hours.
the main problem with the power out's is we only have a small diesel back up generator so every last Watt count's! the temporary brooder dad sorted last night uses a light bulb for heat (he had a hidden 100W bulb stashed!!!).
Bulbs work good for brooders but problem is one they are lit 24/7 which isnt really allowed on animal welfare grounds and they can fail, on the farm we used 150W infra red bulbs. But because we dont have the huge generator here that we had in devon i have to keep the power down, so i am making a heated box that has a number of fan outlets to blow warm air into the brooders and low wattage sol warming cable that snakes its way through the brooders.
i am looking for a total of 200W tops, so far tests have been good but now i have to concentrate on that before i can get back to the incubator and hatcher! on a happy note tho, dad dosnt want to get back into farming are keeping large numbers of birds, we are just having a competition, but he has said that if i build a decent incubator and hatcher and as long as i take care of them then he will sell the chicks at market for me and i can keep the profit!! so apart from saving for uni i will have cash to spend on my lab :D
anyway a pic of the new chicks
chick.jpg

LG, sometimes I think you're having more fun than is allowed :cool:...

LG, sometimes I think you're having more fun than is allowed :cool:...
absolutely NOT!!!! this is all very hard work! :rolleyes: FUN never entered my head:oops: i wouldnt dream of having fun while learning skills for my future!o_O i cant believe one day i might get a job as an engineer and actually have someone pay me to do this stuff!!! :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

and another
chick2.jpg

Well I should warn you, from personal experience, if you start having too much fun on this site they will ban you for an indeterminate amount of time for reasons that will never be revealed! :rolleyes:

Now as a future engineer thats a whole different thing! You will be expected to do this project in half the time you know is possible with half the parts and financial resources you know you will need and in the end should your circuit actually work your boss or manager is going to steal all your credit and bonuses you should have gotten for it. :arghh:

just like now then:woot:

Hi,

Are you talking about the 'switch' that turns the unit on and off? That just has to switch on and off it does not have to adjust for different conductance or anything like that. The actual variation in levels comes about through time as the unit is switch on or off as needed. So over maybe 10 minutes the level is varied from 0 to max and that can be almost any level, not just on or off. That's PWM over longer time periods. The switch itself is only turned all the way on or all the way off, but the resulting levels over longer time periods can be almost anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back