Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Switches convert to NC

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought i saw something on the web once where a transistor was used to convert a normaly open switch to normanal closed switch or is the any way to do this w/o a relay?

Just in case i didn't explain it correctly, I need a a pushbutton switch that stays open when pushed.. so, I think that is a "normal open switch"
thanks any help will be great.

Last edited:
... I need a pushbutton swith to work where if it's pushed the light turns on and if you let go the light will turn off.
thanks any help will be great.

That is not a normally closed switch, that is a plain normally open switch and needs nothing else than a 'momentary pushbutton switch' from any electronics store.

+--------------./ .----------------load--------------gnd

Like a doorbell pushbutton switch.

Miguel

Last edited:
You could use a relay with NC contacts but you're better off just buying the correct switch.

Last edited:
That is not a normally closed switch, that is a plain normally open switch and needs nothing else than a 'momentary pushbutton switch' from any electronics store.

+--------------./ .----------------load--------------gnd

Like a doorbell pushbutton switch.

Miguel

Actually i need a a pushbutton switch that stays open when pushed.. so, I think that is a "normal open switch"

Would it work with a transistor?

Please post as schematic so we can see the bigger picture.

those radio shack pushbutton switches dont' work as NO. where current flows through them when released only when pushed.

but i think i found a solution:

**broken link removed**

I had to buy switches both N/O and N/C of the same type. I got them both as four-switch packs at Radio Smack. They called yours out as normally-closed in their catalog, but fail to label the normally-open as such.
Here you go:
Mini SPST 0.5-Amp Momentary Switch (4-Pack) - RadioShack.com

These are what you want, at RShack. They are the same cheap failure-prone junk as your first find. BTW, the red and black plungers don't indicate which type you are using, both packs have two red and two black. Use labels!

Take care,
kenjj

I had to buy switches both N/O and N/C of the same type. I got them both as four-switch packs at Radio Smack. They called yours out as normally-closed in their catalog, but fail to label the normally-open as such.
Here you go:
Mini SPST 0.5-Amp Momentary Switch (4-Pack) - RadioShack.com

These are what you want, at RShack. They are the same cheap failure-prone junk as your first find. BTW, the red and black plungers don't indicate which type you are using, both packs have two red and two black. Use labels!

Take care,
kenjj

Ok So I found another switch but just so you know for future reference those switches are NC switches there were zero NO type switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back