Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switch choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

Hey guys i wanted to know what would you do or use as a solution for this:

I have 3 signals of rx/tx so we will call them

Rx_1 / Tx1
Rx_2 / Tx2
Rx_3 / Tx3

What can/should i use for best performance ..switch them to my PIC or LPC uart.

Like those 3 above are all totally different signals coming in from different places. But i want to be able to pick which to use digitally like a button and then my PIC controls a IC which selects a line to connect to my PIC..

Here is a diagram... Be aware i made this in PAINT lol

untitled-gif.32276

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    4.9 KB · Views: 302
Hi Jason,

I thought about doin' it this way at one time (TTL level serial signals). It was a master/slave setup so the master RX was connected to all of the slave units (open drain) and I simply switched the master TX signal to a specific port. I also thought about using the RJ-14 modular connectors for supplying power to the slaves.

Anyway there's no reason why you couldn't use one decoder IC and one selector IC and a small 8 pin PIC to supply the A0..A2 address signals to them to select 1-of-8 serial channels. Just an idea.

Take care. Have a nice weekend.

Mike, K8LH

rs232-slot-addressed-jpg.32278

Attachments

• RS232 - slot addressed.JPG
    RS232 - slot addressed.JPG
    58.1 KB · Views: 309
Last edited:
A lot of designs just use quad analog switch IC's like 4066, 14066, 74HC4066 etc. They have 4 independant switches that will allow data either way, and are fairly tolerant of spikes etc. They are common in digital port switching and are also used in VCR DVD equipment to switch AV signals to all the AV ports. 2 chips gives you 8 switches, so will switch 4 devices RX+TX.

But if your 3 target devices are not all connected at once, you can just parallel the RX and TX pins to all.

Jason,

Are the Tx/Rx signals logic level (0/+5V) or RS232 serial (+12/-12)?

Ken

i was going to make this and try to sell it but heh they beat me to it :(

EasySync USA

EDIT:
Mike (eric) your making me jealous with those beautiful drawings. I tried it and found it to be to complicated heh.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back