Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

swapping cap values around

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkerbeder

I am working on a circuit that has four 25v 470 uf caps in paralell. I don't have any of those laying around, but I do have some 1500 uf 25v caps. Can I just take three of the 470's out, and swap it with the 1500, giving me 1970, instead of 1880? do I have to worry about the voltage rating on the big cap, does it have to be bigger to use it that way?

Thanks for any help!!!

-Parker

You should be able to swap the 1500µF for three of the 470µF's unless the circuit is something like a switching regulator that is placing several caps in parallel to reduce the ESR.

The voltage rating of the single cap can be the same as the rating of the multiple caps.

I'm not sure if that's the case or not...

It's a cap in a power supply that is designed to take either 110 or 220, it's out of a mackie onyx 1640 mixing board: **broken link removed**

is it possible that will make it upset? it's only going to be used with 110... can it cause damage if it IS inadequate, or just create noise? (still a problem, but i can fix it again if it is)

Thanks for any insight / opinions!!!

-Parker

Well, I'm not sure if it is or not...

It is in a power supply for a mackie onyx 1640 mixing board, the power supply has an input of 100-240 volts. If a guy tries it, will it do any damage, or just be noisy or something? I have a couple of these larger caps, if it would be better to put more than one in, or to leave a couple of the 470's, i could do that too...

Thanks!

-Parker

Since it accepts a power input of 100-240V it likely has a switching supply. The larger cap may work but you would need to check to see if it gets warm in operation which can occur if the capacitor ESR is too high. Also if the ESR is too high the noise of the mixing board may be higher.

But the substitution shouldn't hurt the board otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back