Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

superregenerative fm radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

catcat

I wanted to make a superregenerative fm reciever but I could not find any good info sources on the internet. could someone help?

HM

I think there was a guy around here who asked a billion questions on Super Regen Receivers who never quite got it right. If you use the search feature you should find them.

From what I remember about those posts, the advantage of a super regen receiver was it only used one transistor when transistors were very expensive. Nowadays transistors are very cheap and you can build a much more reliable and easy to build receiver if you use some of the other designs that use a few transistors. You sure you want to build a super regen? it's just the other guy seemed to have a lot of problems with it, he was asking questions for a year or two.

Last edited:
The reason I chose superregenerative is because it is simple and i have some understanding of it.

Audioguru posted up this great link. Well, it seems great to me, with my limited knowledge. When I read it my brain hurts.

**broken link removed**

DirtyLude said:
Audioguru posted up this great link. Well, it seems great to me, with my limited knowledge. When I read it my brain hurts.

**broken link removed**

It seemed great to me as well! - a VERY informative site.

But I agree that super-regens are well past their best, not a good option these days!.

Many radio-controlled toys that have a fairly short range use a super-regen receiver.

I didn't know that rc cars use superregen.

EDIT: I am trying to understand the article you sent me.

Last edited:
I read the aricle, it gave me some but not much.

I was wondering if the isolation amplifier could just that the antenna will be connected to the base of an npn tranistor, collector to +V, and base were the anenna would regularly go.

Last edited:
catcat said:
it actually was more like a project.
You might as well make a project that works and works well. Don't make the cheapest circuit that you can find. A super-regen receiver's parts total less than $1.00.

audioguru said:
You might as well make a project that works and works well. Don't make the cheapest circuit that you can find. A super-regen receiver's parts total less than $1.00.

I tried to read about other systems and it was too complicated and pointless.

You probably won't be able to make a good radio that works well because the parts aren't available and you don't have alignment equipment. Many tuned circuits will need adjustment.
Buy a good radio, get its service manual, take it apart and learn how it works.

I do have the parts, and I am going superregen. And what's alinghnent equipment?

catcat said:
I do have the parts, and I am going superregen. And what's alinghnent equipment?
Make whatever you want. A super-regen is cheap junk. Try it and see.
A real radio has a super-heterodyne circuit that has many tuned LC combinations that need adjustment to the correct frequencies. This adjustment is called alignment.

That might work, I will try that system too, but howecome people on the internet buld superregens and like them so much?

catcat said:
That might work, I will try that system too, but howecome people on the internet buld superregens and like them so much?
Could it be because you have only been searching up super-regens instead of super-hetereodyne circuits?

I don't know about popularity, but from things I have read so far on this forum people seem to like super-heterodyne circuits more than super-regen circuits. Maybe it's because you get better performance and the parts don't seem to be as finicky in a super-heterodyne receiver (just speculation, I'm not very knowledgable with radios because they aren't something I find overly interesting.)

Last edited:
catcat said:
how come people on the internet buld superregens and like them so much?
People also like AM crystal radios too, because they are simple and cheap.

A super-regen is an AM radio. AM makes static sounds and has other interference. A super-regen sort-of detects FM if it is tuned to one side of an FM station but then is noisy with interference and high distortion.

Like an AM crystal radio, a super-regen has only a single tuned LC network that picked up the only station in town long ago. Now-a-days it just picks up all the stations at the same time.

Long ago, a super-regen could be adjusted so that it isn't overloaded by the only station in town being too close. What are you going to do with its overloading by all the stations today?

If you are anywhere near a large city then you won't like a super-regen.

With the advent of super heterodyne receivers, you could place radio stations much closer to each other on the frequency spectrum because the heterodyne receiver has a much sharper bandpass frequency cutoff than super-regens which resulted in more radio stations (or so my prof says).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back