Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Summing Stereo into Mono

Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course (it's got a mono/stereo switch), but it's a bit of overkill just for doing that :D

As always, it depends exactly what you're trying to do - in the vast majority of circumstances you simply need to join the two channels together.

Yes but do the left and right resister networks provide true summing before the input to the transformers is shorted out?

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a sound engineer earlier this year. I wanted to use a passive DI box of my own design, but similar to the one we're discussing here, to mono up a DJ mixer to feed our PA. He insisted that that a simple passive network wasn't the way to do it, and that we'd end up with cancellation and phase problems (I can't quite remember how he phrased it). If it was anyone else I'd have dismissed this suggestion out of hand, but the engineer in question was an old hand and highly experienced, so I have to at least give his suggestion some serious consideration.
Now I agree with Nigel - this seems like as good a way as any other to sum stereo to mono... But am I missing something more subtle about the way stereo signals are produced?
The only difference I can see is that a passive voltage divider allows cross-talk between the two inputs, whereas with a summing stage based around a virtual earth the impedance seen at each input is entirely independent of the signal on the other. But I can't see why that'd make any difference...

(edit for typos)

This reminds me of a conversation I had with a sound engineer earlier this year. I wanted to use a passive DI box of my own design, but similar to the one we're discussing here, to mono up a DJ mixer to feed our PA. He insisted that that a simple passive network wasn't the way to do it, and that we'd end up with cancellation and phase problems (I can't quite remember how he phrased it). If it was anyone else I'd have dismissed this suggestion out of hand, but the engineer in question was an old hand and highly experienced, so I have to at least give his suggestion some serious consideration.

It could well just be an 'old wifes tale' he'd heard :D

Look in any amplifier with a mono/stereo switch - they simply join the two channels together, very often by simply joining the tops of the volume control.

"Out-of-phase stuff" is the ambience of the hall or studio the stereo sounds were recorded in. That is what makes stereo "alive" and makes mono "dull and dead".
A choir of singers do not all sing exactly the same frequency and phase. Some are a little flat and others are a little sharp. A group of musical instruments do not all play exactly the same frequency and phase. Some are a little flat and others are a little sharp.
So their different phases combine as they sing and play which creates ambience in stereo but causes serious level fluctuations in mono.

We all seem to be in agreement then. I always understood that it was part of the job of the mastering engineer to make sure that a recording would merge to mono elegantly, without loosing anything important or sounding too odd (ie, a limit on level panning and phase/delay differences between left and right).

Stereo is normal and natural. Our hearing is in stereo. Nothing needs to be done to make mono sound the same because mono sounds different.

Stereo sound is a big improvement over mono sound. Surround sound is a big improvement over stereo sound. Many yeas ago I made a Motorola PRO-SQ surround sound decoder and bought records (remember them?) with SQ surround sound encoded on them.
I don't listen to surround sound anymore, mostly stereo except my clock radio is mono.

Sound engineer? One time I heard some odd phase errors from my FM stereo radio. When I switched it to mono all sounds completely disappeared. I phoned the radio station and the sound engineer apologized that the recording had one channel out-of-phase! He didn't have or couldn't find a phase reversal switch. So the channels cancelled when in mono.

Have you ever heard out-of-phase mono music on headphones? It seems to pull your ears away from your head. You can do it easily by feeding the live terminals of both earphones but not connecting the common ground terminal. Then the earphones will be in series and out-of-phase.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back