Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions for high voltage floating Hbridge overcurrent protection (solved)

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourtytwo

Hello all, I am looking for a way to add over current protection to the enclosed H-bridge. The current signal needs to be galvanically isolated as the controlling MCU is on the grounded side of the isolation barrier but the H-bridge is grid side.
I have thought of an opto-coupler with sense resistor but this is power hungry, I would like to use a current transformer but the current waveform is uni-polar (see enclosed plot) so would this still work or can it be made to ?
I should mention the current waveform is both continuous and discontinuous and the H-bridge only switches at 50hZ (it is an unfolder) but the current frequency it passes is 50Khz.

EDIT Solution
Just in case its useful to others I realize I had solved this before in another design using a LEM HLSR active transformer that deals with unipolar currents very well and does not have the high emi susceptibility of some of the smaller alternatives I had also tried.

Attachments

• Hbridge example.pdf
    15 KB · Views: 168
  • Hbridge current example.pdf
    24 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back