Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Subwoofer auto bypass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

98falstaff

I have this powered subwoofer, a Cerwin Vega CLSC 12S. It is either off, or in the auto off/on mode. The thresh hold of the bass signal seems to be too high in the amp to keep the amp on. So I assume this signal detector detects the bass signal level and closes a switch to power on the amp. 120 volts I would presume. If I could find this switch, I'd like to jumper across it to keep the amp on all the time. I just bought a new sub that has a constant on feature, so this older Cerwin Vega is just sitting unused and would not kill me to modify it. Can this be done and is this a good idea? Thanks for all input.

I have this powered subwoofer, a Cerwin Vega CLSC 12S. It is either off, or in the auto off/on mode. The thresh hold of the bass signal seems to be too high in the amp to keep the amp on. So I assume this signal detector detects the bass signal level and closes a switch to power on the amp. 120 volts I would presume. If I could find this switch, I'd like to jumper across it to keep the amp on all the time. I just bought a new sub that has a constant on feature, so this older Cerwin Vega is just sitting unused and would not kill me to modify it. Can this be done and is this a good idea? Thanks for all input.

This is a protection feature which should not be bypassed. The threshold is close to clipped audio which will destroy a speaker. When a woofer is popping it is being over driven and wont last long. Reduce the bass peaks going to the woofer.

This is a protection feature which should not be bypassed. The threshold is close to clipped audio which will destroy a speaker. When a woofer is popping it is being over driven and wont last long. Reduce the bass peaks going to the woofer.

I suggest you reread the original post, you're talking about something completely different.

You can use an audio proc such as the Aphex 204 with big bottom. It increases lower bass without taxing the speakers.

I suggest you reread the original post, you're talking about something completely different.

This is the post from the OP that I read.

I do not know what you are referring to.

A bass amp has a protection circuit in it that shuts off the output amps when it is being overdriven during peaks. I run and install professional audio systems I am an audio engineer. An audio amp idles with no input it does not shut itself down. I understand the original question and I am giving him professional advice.

Thanks Nigel, I hope my original question was clear enough. I'm going to get my meter and tear into this and at least see what things look like in there.

ROFL Are you driving it with an active crossover or passive? It is obvious that nobody here understands why a bass amp has an auto shutoff. Give me a description of your system and I can advise you about gain structure or peaking your system.

ROFL Are you driving it with an active crossover or passive? It is obvious that nobody here understands why a bass amp has an auto shutoff. Give me a description of your system and I can advise you about gain structure or peaking your system.

Everyone else understands him apart from you.

It's NOT an auto-shutoff problem, it's an auto-switch ON problem - read what he posted.

The instruction manual is no use, it's a circuit diagram that's required.

Not you Nigel. Also I'm sorry for being a smart alec. A lot of people have this same problem, don't know if certain AVRs signal is too low or if some powered subs levels are too high. Maybe Yamaha and Cerwin are a bad combo. Anyway my new one works great on "on". There has to be some contacts that close to turn on this sub's amp and I'm going to close them for it. Thanks again.

I really would suggest you join this forum and ask the same question.
I will not recommend prosoundweb or they will tear you apart.

link

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not an audiohpile fanatic snob, just a working, joe sixpack electrician with a mid grade home theater set up, who thinks my old sub could use an improvement. With this apparently common problem, you would think all subs would have off/on/auto, but some do not. I figured someone here on this electronics forum may have heard a mod and have some ideas. My new sub, which the brand doesn't matter, is doing just great. Thanks

Three times now I have offered tech advise on this forum and somebody jumped on my case. I am not going to post a photo of my engineering degree or or post my resume. I am done...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back