Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Struggling to find a right angle DC jack (1.3mm x 3.5mm male) that fits

TheJay

I realise that this is a very basic question to a lot of those on this forum and I am grateful for your time.

I ordered "1.3mm x 3.5mm Male Plug Right Angle L Jack DC Power Tip Connector"
51-iVwQjNML._AC_SX679_.jpg

The dimensions are correct for the tip. The body of the DC jack is far too big. I need something that's very similar to the dimensions of the moulded tip DC jack that came with the adapter I am using.

f1kQujX.jpg

There appeared to be very limited choice when I was looking and found these in the first place.

Please tell me there's a way to get a jack that's a similar size to the original that I can add?

Thank you very much for your time.

£211.89 used from USA rather than nearly £500 including VAT for new in the UK. Fingers crossed no problems with shipping.
Bear in mind, you're going to charged 20% VAT when it gets to the UK, plus a fee (usually about £10) for collecting the money, however I don't think there's any extra import duty on it?.

Very little (above the threshold) seems to get through now without having to pay VAT, at one time you were very often lucky, and parcels snuck through without you been charged :D

Most of the Chinese companies now will charge VAT etc. at time of order, and these then come straight through.

I'm not sure about that, eBay's pretty good with these types of things surely? It's going through the eBay International Shipping scheme so I'd expect this is all taken into account? If not, it's not a big deal compared to new.

I'm not sure about that, eBay's pretty good with these types of things surely? It's going through the eBay International Shipping scheme so I'd expect this is all taken into account? If not, it's not a big deal compared to new.

Presumably it's nothing to do with Ebay?, they just handle the 'auction' - it's the seller who dispatches it - and assuming it's a private seller will simply send it to the UK. It's up to the customer (you!) to take care of any tax or import issues at this end.

It's only recently that the Chinese companies have started offering the option of paying VAT at source, previously all came unpaid and you had to pay the VAT (plus collection charge) before the parcel was delivered.

I've just ordered ten boards from JLCPCB - the boards are £18.00, shipping is £40.12, and VAT is £11.63 - paying at source means we avoid the messing about paying when the boards arrive (costing us another day before delivery), and paying the collection charge.

You might be right, Amazon definitely handle and anticipate any import charges and these are shown before ordering. So, it might be possible.

Seeing shipping costs like that makes my eyes water, it's very steep.

You might be right, Amazon definitely handle and anticipate any import charges and these are shown before ordering. So, it might be possible.

Seeing shipping costs like that makes my eyes water, it's very steep.

I know - it upsets me when the shipping costs considerably more than the product :nailbiting:

However, this is for an updated version of the PCB, hence I've only ordered ten - as they are used in pairs, so five pairs. Assuming I've haven't made any huge mistake I'll be ordering a larger quantity later, and the shipping costs go up accordingly - I try and find a balance point where product cost/shipping cost is at an optimum point.

These are actually for work, so I've paid for fast shipping - when I've ordered boards for myself (through work, so it doesn't cost me) I opt for slow shipping, which is FAR more reasonable, as there's no rush.

However, to put it in perspective - the labels for the product cost £5000 odd for 50 pairs, as they have (small) keypads built-in them - so £50 a label. One of our older products uses a much smaller label/keypad and those are about £15 each in 100's.

I'm a bit late on this.....

I'm curious why, since you have your choice of connectors to use, you decided on something expensive and difficult to obtain.

As an example of an alternative are Elecrow's "Crowtail" ecosystem of connectors and products. Connectors and cables are extraordinarily inexpensive, as this picture shows. I've settled on the 4-pin variety where I may want to interface different boards together using I2C, UART or general purpose I/O. You can also get jumpers to Dupont pins for connecting to a bread board.

Elecrow has an entire ecosystem of modules using this system, from simple switches and LEDs to complex sensors and functional modules.

These connectors are the same pitch as Seeed Studios Grove system although I'm not sure they are compatible. Like Elecrow, Seeed has many different building blocks that can easily be used together.

Attachments

• Crowtail connectors _1.jpg
    Crowtail connectors _1.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 119
I'm a bit late on this.....

I'm curious why, since you have your choice of connectors to use, you decided on something expensive and difficult to obtain.

As an example of an alternative are Elecrow's "Crowtail" ecosystem of connectors and products. Connectors and cables are extraordinarily inexpensive, as this picture shows. I've settled on the 4-pin variety where I may want to interface different boards together using I2C, UART or general purpose I/O. You can also get jumpers to Dupont pins for connecting to a bread board.

Elecrow has an entire ecosystem of modules using this system, from simple switches and LEDs to complex sensors and functional modules.

These connectors are the same pitch as Seeed Studios Grove system although I'm not sure they are compatible. Like Elecrow, Seeed has many different building blocks that can easily be used together.
That's very cool, the reason I went for PicoBlade is because I have another project that uses them and I had been considering getting the crimper anyway.

The connectors you have shown look good and I'm sure that they will benefit others in this kind of situation. What wire gauge do they cater to?

That's very cool! So it's a sticker but it has some built in circuit, a bit like a PCB?
Yes, basically a flexible PCB, switches and an LED - the switches are particularly large and brightly coloured, as it's intended for use during the night by people who are probably cold and clumsy :D

I won't mention the state of some of the repairs we see, like aerials mounted on tripods where they run them over with the vans :D

In post #25 on Monday I mentioned I'd ordered ten boards from JLCPCB (ordered at lunch time), just got to work this morning (Wednesday) to find an email that they are ready, and awaiting collection by DHL :D
Just a quick update, the boards arrived about 9:00 Monday morning - so less than 7 full days, and that was for more boards, and larger boards, than covered by the special fast cheap service for 5 x 100mm x 100mm boards.

Hey Nigel, thanks for the updates. Sounds like an interesting job you've got there!

Glad your deliveries are coming quickly, always makes life that bit better.

Does anyone know the wire gauge of the crowtail connectors/crimps?

I use the pre-built jumpers Elecrow sells for the Crowtail system. These jumpers are probably 22 or 24 gauge.

They don't sell the female connectors separately; as these are 2mm pitch as I recall, they would be difficult (for me) to crimp reliably.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back