Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strange oscilloscope pwm reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nickedemuz

Hi
Might be I bought a really cheap (and probably crappy) pwm motorcontroller from China. I hooked it up to my scope and got some very strange reading. There is also a possibility that I’m doing something really stupid with the scope cause I’m pretty green at this ;)
The motor is running ok and the speed control works. I’m just very curious about the strange waveform. I expected it to be a square wave.
appreciate any help or info:)
6556372E-6DD8-487E-861D-01D76AD58A70.jpeg
442D1751-284E-4CEC-BCA9-DD2EF19F69F4.jpeg
4C7437DB-63B0-4081-9E90-9FD2AA37D2A6.jpeg
78E13CFE-3FC9-4B87-88B0-548AA701DE2D.jpeg

motor windings act like inductors, so when a pulse is applied the current ramps. it's the same effect as in a CRT monitor deflection yoke.

Oh, thanks! So I guess we’re looking at a noob mistake here ;) At least I learned something new.
Could you please tell me what might be the correct way of hooking up the scope?

Thanks a lot for helping me. I really appreciate it! I thought the LED would be the same. I’m learning a lot here :) And you are correct in the assumption of a car motor. It’s a wiper motor.

Thanks a lot for helping me. I really appreciate it! I thought the LED would be the same. I’m learning a lot here :) And you are correct in the assumption of a car motor. It’s a wiper motor.

Over the years I've found car bulbs an invaluable source of 'dummy loads', a combined rear/brake bulb gives you three possible loads, and for higher loads a front fog light bulb or headlamp bulb does the job nicely.

that’s a really good idea! Will be getting those to have some options. I had a small 12v rear lamp and...success!
1B288C85-E664-4813-BF4A-D2BCE234DEB8.jpeg

Next thing to watch on YouTube will be how the loads differ from each other :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back