Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Strange measuring instrument

Status
Not open for further replies.

whiz115

Found the following link while googling stuff.. probably it's a fraudulent case but if anybody has time maybe can check the following link and tell us if such think exists and what could be the principle of operation?

i'm seeking for any mythbusters around! :D

Experimental Life-Energy Field Meter

The meter probably works by detecting static charge on a body.
The circuit within the box is probably some kind of DC amplifier with a very high impedance input so that introducing a charged object to the "vaccum tube electrode" (ROTFLMAO), will capacitively couple a voltage to the input of the amplifier and cause a deflection on the meter.

In terms of measuring Life-Energy, it is pure bullsh1t.

I guess the term "Experimantal" is a get around for trade description legislation - "we never said that it was proved, it is just experimental!"

JimB

Last edited:
at first i thought it was some short of ohmmeter... but then i saw the vacum tube :eek: :D

the lead that it's not obvious to the photos where it goes...probably it's grounded right? :D to a drain pipe or something..

It's not an ohmmeter, it's a voltmeter.

The valve (vacuum tube) is probably used for the input because it has a very high input impedance. I would also guess that it's probably the only active device in the circuit, the rest is probably totally passive apart from perhaps some diodes in the power supply.

Valves are good for this kind of thing as they aren't damaged by ESD, they also provide some novelty value.:D

If you enlarge the picture of the vacuum tube you can see its got a filament and some other internal connections. Its likely a triode of some sort. Also when zooming in you can clearly see the base connections are just epoxied over with no wire inside! and the brass plug its connected to has a hole drilled right through it too! No actual circuit connections I can see!

From the website.
[SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1]
In the 1940s, the scientist Wilhelm Reich developed an orgone (life-energy) field meter, using high-voltage induction coils to excite a large detector plate, and was able to show the existence and quantity of life-energy charge in people, plants and various objects.

Wilhelm Reich - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

[/SIZE][/SIZE][SIZE=+1][SIZE=+1][/SIZE][/SIZE]Wilhelm Reich was a Jewish communist so we're all Fascist Nazis part of an anti-Semitic conspiracy for not believing it. :rolleyes:

But if you have done any real life experimenting with high voltage coils and tuned resonance circuits you would know that any object living or not will produce variable capacitive effects into the system depending upon its size, composition, and where it is located relative to the tuned circuit.

What he made was a very sensitive capacitance meter of sorts!

Looks like it can also detect Thetens.
**broken link removed**

Wow what a gorgeous big oval moving coil meter!!! :eek:

Looks like they could at least buy a batch for manufacturing, wonder where they got them?

------------

Now about the "Life energy meter", quote;

'The Life Energy Field Meter contains a very weak high-frequency (10kHz), low-voltage source (~25 V at 1 microamp) which is coupled unipolarly through an AC current sensor to the probe. The probe emits a weak "displacement current" field into the surrounding space. The more that this energy field is absorbed, the higher is the reading on the meter.'

Which kinda explains why the picture of the BIG apple sitting on the 2" sensor plate gives a much higher reading than the organically grown LITTLE apple...

And as for;

'Reich discovered that this absorption is stronger in living things than in non-living things.'

You mean a living person gave a higher reading than a dehydrated cadaver??

Last edited:
If I touch that "life energy" meter and it reads 80%, then am I 80% live and 20% dead?

No. I think that reading would equate to 80% nutter and 20% gullible. But they could easily be reversed and get the same net result too!:D
Or may be it would be 80% clueless and 20% less money in your bank account!:eek:

I built a version of the life energy meter and either the valves (tubes) gone or I'm dead. I suspect the latter. If anyone really believes the bull on that site then brain death is suspected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back