Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Store numbers on flip flop

Status
Not open for further replies.

wzseow

I need to implement a counter with count sequence which stores random numbers using verilog and display it on 7 segmentt display. I have no problems in calling the numbers out as a function, but can someone guide me how do I store random numbers using flip flops? It needs to be activated by a "clock".

I have done part of the verilog code, but i know it is wrong because I am not storing any numbers in the flip flop.

Code:
module Q1(KEY1,HEX0);

input [1:0] KEY1;
	output [6:0] HEX0;

assign CLK = KEY1;

shift_reg (CLK,RESET, 0010,Q);
	shift_reg (CLK,RESET, 0001,Q);
	shift_reg (CLK,RESET, 0010,Q);
	shift_reg (CLK,RESET, 0000,Q);
	shift_reg (CLK,RESET, 0001,Q);
	shift_reg (CLK,RESET, 0111,Q);
	shift_reg (CLK,RESET, 0111,Q);
	shift_reg (CLK,RESET, 0011,Q);
	shift_reg (CLK,RESET, 1000,Q);
	shift_reg (CLK,RESET, 1000,Q);

endmodule

// 4-bit Shift Register with Reset

module shift_reg (CLK, RESET, in, Q);

input CLK, RESET;
	input [3:0] in;
	output [3:0] Q;

reg[3:0] Q;

always@(posedge CLK or posedge RESET)
	begin

if (RESET)
	Q <= 4'b0000;
	else
	Q <= {Q[3:0], in};
	end

display (Q,HEX0);
	endmodule

//*****HEX Module*****////
module display (U,HEX0);

input [0:3] U;
output [6:0] HEX0;

assign HEX0[0]=(~U[0]&~U[1]&~U[2]&U[3])|(~U[0]&U[1]&~U[2]&~U[3]);
	assign HEX0[1]=(~U[0]&U[1]&~U[2]&U[3])|(~U[0]&U[1]&U[2]&~U[3]);
	assign HEX0[2]=(~U[0]&~U[1]&U[2]&~U[3]);
	assign HEX0[3]=(~U[0]&~U[1]&~U[2]&U[3])|(~U[0]&U[1]&~U[2]&~U[3])|(~U[0]&U[1]&U[2]&U[3]);
	assign HEX0[4]=(~U[0]&~U[1]&~U[2]&U[3])|(~U[0]&~U[1]&U[2]&U[3])|(~U[0]&U[1]&~U[2]&~U[3])|(~U[0]&U[1]&~U[2]&U[3])|(~U[0]&U[1]&U[2]&U[3])|(U[0]&~U[1]&~U[2]&U[3]);
	assign HEX0[5]=(~U[0]&~U[1]&~U[2]&U[3])|(~U[0]&~U[1]&U[2]&~U[3])|(~U[0]&~U[1]&U[2]&U[3])|(~U[0]&U[1]&U[2]&U[3]);
	assign HEX0[6]=(~U[0]&~U[1]&~U[2]&U[3])|(~U[0]&U[1]&U[2]&U[3])|(~U[0]&~U[1]&~U[2]&~U[3]);

endmodule

I am not familiar with Verilog, as I have only used VHDL, but have you created a sim file? If not, then I suggest you do so as this is a good debugging tool.

To assign values to flip-flops, just use an always block with clock edge signal, and reset edge, in the sensitivity list. Make sure flip-flop signals are defined as registers. Use non-blocking assignments:

ie

reg My_flip_flop;
wire clock, reset, sig_to_capture;

always @(posedge clock or posedge reset)
begin
if (reset) My_flip_flop <= 0;
else if (clock)
My_flip_flop <= sig_to_capture;
end
end

Excuse any syntex issues. Been out of work for 3 months now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back