Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

STM32F103 and DSP?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarcusVanBober

Hi,

I have an evaluation board based on STM32F103RB microprocesor. Can I do DSP project on this board or do i need a faster microprocesor like STM32F4?

It's for university project, I have to build simple equaliser.

It's not the speed, it's the instruction set. The F4 uses a Cortex-M4 core which has an extended DSP instruction set.

I don't use STM32, but LPC offers some DSP libraries for their Cortex-M3 devices. You might want to look for something similar for the STM32 Cortex-M3.

Assuming you can find the libraries, I have no experience in DSP, so I have no idea whether the F3 would be fast enough with just the libraries to do what you want with it.

Last edited:
I know that F4 have single cycle Multiply–accumulate operation, which is very important for DSP, and F3 doesn't have this feature, but on the other hand I need to do a simple audio project with digital filters.

Hi,

I have an evaluation board based on STM32F103RB microprocesor. Can I do DSP project on this board or do i need a faster microprocesor like STM32F4?

It's for university project, I have to build simple equaliser.

Yes, you can!

See the STM32 DSP library from ST and CMSIS DSP Software Library from Keil:

Processor Support

The library is completely written in C and is fully CMSIS compliant. High performance is achieved through maximum use of Cortex-M4 intrinsics.
The supplied library source code also builds and runs on the Cortex-M3 and Cortex-M0 processor, with the DSP intrinsics being emulated through software.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back