Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motors - using them to charge a battery?

Status
Not open for further replies.

solarfem

I am doing a project using a stepper motor to act as a wind generator in order to charge a 5v Lithium cell when there is an abundance of wind.
I will like to know if I can get more advice about how to achieve the project. I have bought a 24V,6 wires Unipolar Stepper motor, 1.8-degree steps

Are the 6 wires three separate coils? I think first you need to check how much voltage are you getting at your typical wind speed.

You can use 2 rectifiers to convert the output of both windings to dc.
You can select the output voltage by using the winding taps, and or by placing the output of the 2 coils in series or parallel,

Motors are easy to turn when you pick them up and turn by hand. HOWEVER, attach a load like a small light bulb, or a sold piece of wire across all coils and you'll see how difficult it becomes. Make sure you set your expectations of power out to ease of turning before you connect it to a bank of LEDs and put it out into the wind.

Stepper motors come in all sizes. Do you have a link to the one you have?

Mike.
Edit, depending on size and needed power, the simplest construction is probably a Savonius rotor - 2 halves of a large coke bottle hay be enough. Google "Savonius rotor" for more.

Last edited:
Motors are easy to turn when you pick them up and turn by hand. HOWEVER, attach a load like a small light bulb, or a sold piece of wire across all coils and you'll see how difficult it becomes.
With steppers you do not even have to apply a load, they have natural indent resistance, unlike the DC/BLDC variety..
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back