Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motor for wind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
steppers?

I know this going to sound bad, but everyone keeps talking steppers for small generators.....My question is which ones?....I deal with nothing but DC steppers....I am assuming you guys are talking about ac steppers...cause why would you rectify a dc stepper to dc...seems odd......Can DC steppers be used for generating..something?..Cause in my world dc steppers are a dime a dozen in price compared to ac steppers

Thanks, Bugster61:eek:

I know this going to sound bad, but everyone keeps talking steppers for small generators.....My question is which ones?....I deal with nothing but DC steppers....I am assuming you guys are talking about ac steppers...cause why would you rectify a dc stepper to dc...seems odd......Can DC steppers be used for generating..something?..Cause in my world dc steppers are a dime a dozen in price compared to ac steppers

They are talking about DC steppers - although really there's no such thing, because the process of stepping them means you're providing AC to them anyway.

ac/dc - wich one is right?

They are talking about DC steppers - although really there's no such thing, because the process of stepping them means you're providing AC to them anyway.
Partly agree. If using unipolar you need AC, or can provide "sort of ac" with a H-bridge.

Steppers with 5 or 6 wires can be run using only 4 simple driver transistors to run them. Logic circuit also of course.

But smooth movement needs sort of AC. Or can say need an DA converter in adition to controller. But it's AC only when the stepper moves. When it stop, it's not AC no more.

I don't know about the rest of you but every stepper i have tried puts out Ac three phase Ac.

Now on the name tag it will say DC stepper but you get AC

Partly agree. If using unipolar you need AC, or can provide "sort of ac" with a H-bridge.

Only bi-polar needs an h-bridge.

Steppers with 5 or 6 wires can be run using only 4 simple driver transistors to run them. Logic circuit also of course.

Yes, creating AC to power the motor.

In many ways it's no different to a brushed DC motor, just that you're replacing the brushes with electronics. The brushes work as a syncronous 'rectifier', effectively creating AC from the DC, and (as a generator) creating DC from the AC.

I’ve thought a bought using a centrifugal clutch for wind power it would serve 2 purposes i as a flywheel and second a cut off at high wind to slow the turbine as speed increases the pads smash in to the drum breaking the turbine what you think?

btw i got a 3 phase 5hp indrustral pump motor rated for 408v can i make a generator out of this? i think its a pm but if its not i heard somthing abought using a capasitor on one phase to get 2 phase power? is that the case

Last edited:
Thanks for the information provided by Mr Rb, it is very valuable. I am doing a final year project on 'Using a Stepper Motor as a wind-based generator to output at least 500mA and to charge a 5v Lithium cell'.
Do you have an idea of how to couple the shaft of the Stepper motor to a turbine blade

stepper

I have made a few wind generators from stepper motors. not hard. other parts of it are harder than just making electricity. VAWT. I have a case of 1n4004 if anyone gets a hold of me via yahoo you can have some. will work for 1n4001 or any 1n400? I have to have rotors machined for them, and I salvage lots of them.
can you please email me at Email address removed by moderator for more information about Stepper Motors, that is my final year project.

Last edited by a moderator:
DC steppers use a pulsed DC to commutate, there are AC synchronous versions made for AC that use a cap on one winding to provide the phase shift, they are very precise and run in synchronism to the AC frequency and stop/start almost immediatly. They are essentially the same as a bipolar DC stepper but are built for mains voltage.
SloSyn and Superior Electric made these for some decades.
I still have my old S.E. text books that give in depth explanation of both types. DC & AC.
" Design Engineers Guide to DC and AC Stepping motors"
Max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back