Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

starcom UT300R2U modem with exploded capacitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

amsung2

here is the case:
my ADSL 2+ router is almost dieing. so i was looking for a new one which is slightly expensive for me right now.
i found another router in a relative's house which he said I could have.

obviously it wasn't working so i opened it up. and just as i suspected, it had 2 blown what looks like capacitors.

the problem is these are a weird kind of capacitors, brown in color and flat and have it's legs far apart. on the circuit board it says C432 and C433. now i don't know what's the rating of theses things, coz there were only 2 of those capacitors in there and both have blown.

I can't find the schematic on-line, is there anything I can do?

also, on closer examination, i found what looks like a transistor just below the capacitors that seems to have cracked. It says D402 next to it. and besides it's three legs, it says A, C and AC (on the base). it that a transistor?

here is the case:
my ADSL 2+ router is almost dieing. so i was looking for a new one which is slightly expensive for me right now.

obviously it wasn't working so i opened it up. and just as i suspected, it had 2 blown what looks like capacitors.

the problem is these are a weird kind of capacitors, brown in color and flat and have it's legs far apart. on the circuit board it says C432 and C433. now i don't know what's the rating of theses things, coz there were only 2 of those capacitors in there and both have blown.

also, on closer examination, i found what looks like a transistor just below the capacitors that seems to have cracked. It says D402 next to it. and besides it's three legs, it says A, C and AC (on the base). it that a transistor?
The best thing would be to get hold of another similar piece and compare and try to replace parts taking guidance from a working one. If a modem cant be located perhaps seek help some one having such, can open take few well focused close up shots and try to upload, to help you.
I had one till recently but swapeed it to some one else across WA3002G4.

A component number prefixed with a D that has three legs is usually a diode gate, transistors are almost universally prefixed with Q

the D402 could be imagined like 2 diodes in series
an example is smd , BAT54C
data sheet attached. see the formation in BAT54C
one pin can be Anode(A), another Cathode(C), the third is common "AC"

Attachments

• bat54.pdf
    32.3 KB · Views: 462
Last edited:
here is the case:

Perhaps amsung2 has not indicated the make and model number of the "another Router" that he got from his relative. he may indicate the same and with a possible photograph along with details.
If he is from India, Perhaps, I may be able to help, as I have access to many such types of modems as Used by BSNL an Indian ISP. Atleast I could get few Photos of the PCB and the component values to help amsung2

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back