Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stabilising supply of noisy DSO-2250 oscilloscope

Status
Not open for further replies.

dougy83

Most Helpful Member
I've had a DSO-2250 9-bit/250MSps/60MHz scope for a decade, bought "new", and it's always had a large ripple voltage (about 1/3 of a division) overlayed on any signal. The ripple sometimes made the DSO barely usable. At some stage I put a filter on the USB cable inline with the power; this didn't work at all.
DSO-2250 Noisey.jpg
I finally got around to probing (with its own probe) around the rail voltages inside, which are easy to find because they have large capacitors on them, and saw about 10% more noise on a -5V rail across a 22uF capacitor. One of the inductors in the nearby SEPIC converter had 1/4 of its ferrite sheild broken off (at factory), but didn't appear to cause issues. This board has a lot of evidence of rework.
pcb.jpg
Connecting a parallel 100uF cap improved things:
100uf.jpgDSO-2250 Noisey 100uF.jpg
Connecting an additional parallel 470uF cap improved things further; the ripple is now competing with the ADC noise (i.e. ± a couple of bits):
570uf.jpgDSO-2250 Noisey 570uF.jpg

I didn't see any notes about this when I looked for a solution years back; just posting now in case it's of use or interest to someone, however unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back