Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SS ckt for on/off 12.8 VDC

Status
Not open for further replies.

warn205

I am looking for device, home brew or kit, which will operate in the following manner.

When + 12.8 VDC car battery voltage is applied to the input, the SS output will conduct +12.8 VDC car battery voltage for 1 to 10 [adjustable] seconds, with a current rating of 5 amps minimum.

Example of the desired operation, 12.8 VDC applied, 12.8 VDC conducted for 5 seconds and while the 12.8 is still applied the output is canceled. Once the 12.8 VDC input is released, the device is reset.

I don’t think a relayed device will operate fast enough.

I am looking for device, home brew or kit, which will operate in the following manner.

When + 12.8 VDC car battery voltage is applied to the input, the SS output will conduct +12.8 VDC car battery voltage for 1 to 10 [adjustable] seconds, with a current rating of 5 amps minimum.

Example of the desired operation, 12.8 VDC applied, 12.8 VDC conducted for 5 seconds and while the 12.8 is still applied the output is canceled. Once the 12.8 VDC input is released, the device is reset.

I don’t think a relayed device will operate fast enough.
Most mechanical relays operate in about 15milliseconds. Thats 0.015 seconds. If this is not fast enough then a solid state relay may do the job.

You want a circuit something like the attached:

Attachments

• 10secDelay.gif
    10secDelay.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
You want a circuit something like the attached:

With a reverse biased diode across the pot, and a resistor across the supply rails to allow the device to 'reset' on power off.

Again thanks to all of you. And this circuit is called? What type of relay would I use? Is it specific to the application?

What do you think?

What's the maximum voltage the capacitor can be charged to?

What's the maximum current in the resistor?

Use Ohm's law to work out the power rating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back