Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Spying on data

Status
Not open for further replies.

AtomSoft

he guys i have a bunch of older electronics and new ones also with lcds of all types...

on a range of 0-10 how hard do you think it would be to use a logic analyzer to scope out the pins and find out how to control the lcds?

I think that it is easier to look for the LCD controller IC and try to find its data sheet in the internet.

Take a look at the bottom side of the LCD. How many ICs do you have?

Usually, for a parallel type, each IC controls 16x1 characters.

here are the pictures:

Attachments

• 1111.jpg
    1111.jpg
    361 KB · Views: 120
  • 2222.jpg
    2222.jpg
    299.4 KB · Views: 135
Ouch, I was thinking about an ordinary alphanumeric LCD.

This one is from cell phones. Have you searched for the nasty white numbers on the frame?

do a search for LCD manufacturers, then get a data sheet for the LCD assembly.

I've got a couple of those that came out of blackberrys and i haven't been able to find anything either. Would love to be able to use them though.

I was seeing some LCD dot matrix controllers. And they look like a bit each other. I saw a Hitachi and a Philips.

The both work with 8-bit data, but Philips allows you to use I2C too.

Look for PCF8813 and HD66420.

I have no experience with LCD dot matrix, so I'm affraid I'll be limited to this.

Attachments

• alpslcd.pdf
    172.5 KB · Views: 320
Last edited:
I'm about to order a LCD like that but 1 is 2.4" and the other is 2.8" when I do I'll be sure to post info on it. For now I might sell these fr parts and use the money to buy a new LCD with correct info :D

i found the service manual for the phone including datasheet. now ima see what i can do heh.. the display type:

MQSPI
Display

I suspect that the M denotes Motorola since all my searches for MQSPI that are relevant lead to PDF files of the block diagram for Motorola cell phones and Motorola invented SPI, the SPI definetly is Serial Peripheral Interface from looking at the block diagrams. The Q could stand for anything - maybe Qualcomm since they make a lot of cell phone parts. All that doesn't really help a lot but you might try searching for "spi lcd driver ic" and maybe include the pixel size "spi lcd driver ic 320 x 240" etc. Alternately, if you have more than 1 you might sacrifice 1 to see if can see a part number on a chip or, if you still have the phone or device it came out of you might be able to capture enough data to figure out how to control it with no other documentation. Monitor the Clock and Sdata lines. You are a pretty bright guy Jason and I believe you might be able to do it.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back