Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sprung Rotary Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nigelmercier

I need a 3-position rotary switch, which returns to the central position when released. I'm intending to use a knob with a 6mm (or 1/4") hole for the shaft.

Any suggestions on where to buy, or how to make one?

If you can't find one, you can make one. Get a rotary switch with a long shaft, add a collar to the shaft behind the front panel using a long screw in place of the original set screw. This long screw will work against a leaf spring blade to return the switch to its original position, two blades on either side for a center-off position. You will problaby have to disable the detent portion of the switch to lower the turning force so the springs can work properly. Alternatively, you could use coil springs in mounts in place of the leaf springs.

Dean

Last edited:
If you can't find one, you can make one. Get a rotary switch with a long shaft, add a collar to the shaft behind the front panel using a long screw in place of the original set screw. This long screw will work against a leaf spring blade to return the switch to its original position, two blades on either side for a center-off position. You will problaby have to disable the detent portion of the switch to lower the turning force so the springs can work properly. Alternatively, you could use coil springs in mounts in place of the leaf springs.

Dean

I tried this with coil springs, but didn't really work. I think there is too much friction at the shaft to enable it to turn smoothly.

Where can I get some leaf-springs? Preferably in stainless steel, as another problem is waterproofing.

Big Nige,

Do you want the center position to be an ON position or an OFF position?

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back