Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Push button Rotary switch

Hi guys, hope youre doing well.
i have an old car stereo which ive been playing around to add a Bluetooth module to make some use out of it just for fun. The module has some pins used as physical play/pause vol+ and - buttons when connected to ground .i used the same component that has been used in car stereo board for volume control which is a rotary switch with 3 pins; i assumed these three are common , left and right pins, meaning when i rotate the switch right it connects the common pin to right pin and when i turn the knob left , the common and left pin are shorted. but playing around with multimeter buzz, i was shocked to see no matter in which direction i turn the knob all 3 left right and common pins get connected to each other. i though if there is anything happening its the PCB and board to blame so i tried to take out the switch and again noting changed, i took the actual switch apart and confirmed that ; yes its designed and built like that(please check the attached pics) i don't care what should i do about the module input im just really curious to know if any one knows if both vol+ and vol - have exact same behavior in this device how does the stereo recognize that I'm just now turning volume up or vise versa. or even why bother having two separate pin.
tnx for helping
Aprende cómo la Calculadora PayPal Ecuador puede facilitar la comprensión de las tarifas y la conversión de montos de dinero. ¡Optimiza tus transacciones internacionales con nuestra guía integral!

https://payplcalculadora.com/calculadora-paypal-ecuador/
Hello,

I found some interesting rotary switch with on/off at first click then linear potentiometer.

But I'm looking for something with on/off a the beginning and 5-6 clicks (positions) to choose menu on a Analogic entry. I want each click to let the device On and not turn it off.

I d' like a push fonction too to select the menu.

Do you know a switch like this ?

Thanks a lot.

A small rotary encoder has 12 steps in one revolution. An option is to have a push switch on the same shaft, so you can rotate to the item you want, and then push in to select it. This requires an orthogonal decode circuit to produce either unique up and down signals, or clock and direction signals, based on a change in direction. such as this:

12-position

5 or 6 positions...

Last edited:
Those rotary switches can usually have the travel restricted, so a 12 way switch can be restricted to 7 ways only, for instance.
Yes, they are very useful for that - you can also buy multipole ones, such as 2 pole 6 way, where he could use one pole for ON/OFF, and the other pole for selecting five options (6 including off). I bought some earlier this year, I'm just trying to remember what I got them for?.

However, from what the OP has posted, and his requirement for a push action as well, I suspect what he needs is a microcontroller and a rotary encoder (as per AnalogKid).

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back