Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SPI to TFT distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wp100

Hi,

Am looking to drive a TFT screen , probably from an Ardunios SPI lines, but would like to have the screen remote from main control board.

I know SPI is supposed to be an onboard connection only but wondered if anyone has found a short cable still works ok eg 250-500mm or even up to 1000mm ? ( don't want to add line drivers etc)

thanks

For my PIC tutorials I use Molex 10 pin connectors on the boards, and join the boards using leads about 300mm long - these work perfectly fine with SPI - but I've never had any reason to try (or even make) longer ones.

I'd suggest you give it a try and see how it works - assuming you use pluggable leads, you could try a short one (to make sure everything works) and then try it with a longer one. I wouldn't have though 500mm would be a problem, as 300 is perfect. If you do start to have problems, you could always reduce the SPI clock frequency a bit.

even up to 1000mm
When I needed to do this: I used ribbon cable with every other wire as ground. gnd, clock, gnd, data, gnd, power, gnd
I also terminated in 100 ohms to match the cable impedance. (long run)

I think in your case of only 1m you can not terminate, but you should use a bundle of wire not loose wires. You might have to back the speed down a little. 10mhz might be a problem.

Repeating Nigel "try". You might try 2m to say 1m will work.

Thanks all, worth giving it a try then, won't be more than 1 mtr away and will use a multicored braided screen cable to connect so it also looks neat.

Thanks all, worth giving it a try then, won't be more than 1 mtr away and will use a multicored braided screen cable to connect so it also looks neat.
Check the cable datasheet and terminate it according to the impedance.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back