Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speaker enclosure dimension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dr.EM said:
Here is a nice horn, however it is a bit different. It is apparently sealed end and transmission line of some sort rather than one with an opening. It's purpose seems more to extend low end (at 25hz it does a good job too). Oddly, it uses 4 drivers. Don't look for the price tag :)

Well B&W have long been one of the worlds most respected speaker manufacturers - most of which tend to be British or European, the Japanese never seem to have made a name for themselves as speaker manufacturers?.

I reckon they're pretty gorgeous. Very non-standard those, but in reality it's a much better design than a box.

Yeah, I like B&W, they're German designed, British built I think? I have some of thier cheapest models. Very impressive sound nonetheless and I also think they look pretty nice with thier unusual yellow cones:

**broken link removed**

Yamaha tried a daft idea to cancel a speaker's resistance with an amplifier circuit that had a negative output impedance. Then supposedly the speaker had perfect damping. It didn't work and the amplifier oscillated without a load.

I bought my daughter a Kenwood (Japanese) mini-stereo that sounds excellent when compared to most lousy-sounding ones.

My son bought a JVC (also Japanese) large stereo system with its JVC speakers made in Canada. It sounds excellent and is very powerful.

I picked-up from the curb on garbage day two huge Sony speakers. They have the cheapest garbage drivers I have ever seen. Both had blown tweeters so small I could hardly find them.

I don't think I ever owned a Brit audio component. I had a Brit dog, a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel instead. It was sent from London for my birthday a long time ago.:D

A freinds dad has some old Sony speakers which he swears by, G4's I think they are called. Pretty huge; they sounded good but he used bass boost and all that so that spoiled it for me. Very powerful though and handled with no distorion at high levels.

I used to use a mini-system. I now use it's speakers with my electric drum set as my monitors, but use my home built amp rather than the mini systems main unit (both should be 14wpc RMS, mine is much louder; so much for Panasonics ratings).

Mini-systems are compact for bedrooms etc, but I've noticed you can get a much better system for the same simply by buying it second hand. Use ebay and search for "mission speaker" and "integrated amp" (probably other cheap decent speaker makes too). You could buy both for under £100 including cables. Add a CD player if you need, but a lot of kids will have music on PC/iPod anyway :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back