Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Speaker cables

Status
Not open for further replies.
As far as I understand it electrons do not actualy leave a "hole".
What happens is like using hydraulic fluid in a pipe. If you push one cubic inch of fluid in at one end one cubic inch comes out the other end no matter how long the pipe or how big or small it is.
I read some place that at 60 hz alternating current only displaces the actual electrons by a few dozen atoms. They move one way durring half the cycle and then move back durring the other.
Power sources are like electrical pumps. They change either a Electromagnetic force, Thermal differential force, or a Chemical reaction force into electron "pressure" and "volume" flow. Everything else is like a electron motor with a load on it in the sense that it then changes that electron "pressure" and "volume" back to an Electromagnetic force, Thermal differential force, or chemical reaction force.
That "pressure" is what we call voltage and that "volume" is what we call amperage.
I am trying to gradualy learn the basics of sub-atomic partical physics by the way. Now thats some weird stuff! :eek:

There are no electron holes. Every atom has its full electron count all the time every time! Its a fact!

Every atom has its full electron count all the time every time! Its a fact!
I belive that is true only in conditions of stability, equilibrium, stable bounds.

The way i see it is this. 1 electron is pulled from the atom. So it creates a "hole" (indeed not a hole in the sense of a hole) the positively charged atom now attracts an electron from vecinity. The atom in vecinity gives away one electron who travels in that "hole". So you can say that the "hole" actually traveled in the opposite direction of the electron. But remember that npn or pnp junctions are not ordinary wires. In ordinary wires yes holes are just electrons traveling, but in a semiconductor we deal with areas that are differently dopped. so there are areas that attract electrons and there are areas that attract these holes by giving away electrons. So the holes that were created by released electrons might not go in opposite directon but follow another path. From p region these "holes" travel to n regions. in npn the emitter is usually dopped with electrons more than the collector so thats the likely destination of holes from the p region. Am i mistaken?

Not sure myself. Subatomic partical physics is not within my grasp of total understanding.
I do know the delema of seeing where a subatomic partical is and measuring it creates a paridoxial problem. You can either see where its at or measure what it is doing but not both at the same time!
I am staying out of this discusion due to incomplete knowlege and understanding on my own part!
My official stance is; Maybe, But I dont really know!

tcmtech. I can try to find it again if you want but I found a site that showed you how to calculate the distance an electron travels in a conductor with a give circular area and number of amps flowing through it, it's incredibly slow but they do eventually get to the end =) You're right about AC though, they just vibrate back and forth, even though energy is transfered. It's only really a problem on things like computer chips where the size of the wire is very small and the relative current through it is very high, under the wrong circumstances the semi conductor will actually migrate far enough to cause a short with a nearby trace. It's pretty rare though I think, and the every atom is full of electrons is only true for metals the same does NOT apply to semi-conductors, holes do in fact exist in semi-conductor materials, it is in fact the very basis of how they function in the first place. A voltage present in a semi conductor changes the free electron situation so that it can conduct or not detect. It's really fascinating stuff.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semiconductor is a good read if you can handle all the geek speaK.

Last edited:
look how 1000Euro speaker cables are made! hahahha... they can't afford a wire stripper
**broken link removed**

Last edited:
Compressed cables can affect audio quality? I use scissors and knives like that all the time to cut wire, great deal of training and practice huh? Yeah I bet those flush cutters took weeks to master. I also like the repeated cutting and twisting to remove the PTFE jacket. He slipped up there at the end too, (We use a mixture of clamping... pause and soldering) forgetting that he earlier in the video said compressing the cable is bad for audio quality. Personally I always solder better electrical connection no matter what you're doing. Crimping provides good mechanical support though.
Nice soldering iron =) If both ends of the cable are done the same way then all that shielding is simply wasted metal, a crime! It sounds better in one direction than the other? Also isn't twisting the wire runs like that bad?

How do these people sleep at night?

I think the cheap hookup wire for my surround system would out perform those cables, and they're 1/5th the size and more flexible.

Last edited:
Horror isnt it?
yes it is a waste of cable. thats what i was wondering at first and the reason why i asked in the first post. And to justify this waste they come up with stories of how the dielectric helps conduction.

Horror isnt it?
yes it is a waste of cable. thats what i was wondering at first and the reason why i asked in the first post. And to justify this waste they come up with stories of how the dielectric helps conduction.

Lets cut to the chase here. The vendors are not 'justifying' their cable 'designs', they are rather engaged in fraud for profit motive. As long as gullible consumers want to believe in this stuff then there will always be people willing to profit from them.

Lefty

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back