Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sources of noise in analog to digital conversion and digital to analog conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.

analysis230

Hi guys.

I'm a computer science engineer with almost no knowledge of electronic engineering. I am trying to make a guitar pedal of sorts. It would take an analog in from the guitar convert it to a digital signal, process it and give an analog out to the amplifier.

Does it seem a like a feasible task to be able to create something like that as a hobby project and maintain a good sound quality if I use high quality component like let's say:

Texas instruments,
DAC: PCM1798DB
ADC: PCM1789-Q1

Let's assume that the actual effects or signal processing part does nothing for the sake of discussion. Just takes the signal and sends the same signal out.
By "good quality" I mean that the signal is audibly fine with low noise and without any obviously apparent distortion. Although ideally I want to aim for something like 320kbps mp3 songs type quality.
Am I missing something? Are there better components that you can recommend in case I am woefully wrong in thinking that the components I mentioned are "high quality" ?

Thanks in advance

To be honest 'guitar pedal' and 'quality' don't go together, so it's not really an issue.

I would suggest you first worry about the processing, and there are a number of DSP chips you could use to evaluate that side of things, which will include suitable ADC's and DAC's which should be plenty good enough for this purpose.

If you then find you want more quality?, then you can expand from there - bearing in mind the higher the sampling resolution the more processing power and memory the DSP will need.

To be honest 'guitar pedal' and 'quality' don't go together, so it's not really an issue.

I would suggest you first worry about the processing, and there are a number of DSP chips you could use to evaluate that side of things, which will include suitable ADC's and DAC's which should be plenty good enough for this purpose.

If you then find you want more quality?, then you can expand from there - bearing in mind the higher the sampling resolution the more processing power and memory the DSP will need.
Nigel Goodwin thank you so much for clearing those doubts. Actually, to be honest I intend to just make a Looper. I don't think I'd require a DSP for that, right? Since there is no actual signal processing. Just read and output. Anyhow I'd look into what DSPs actually do. You're a huge help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back