Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soundcard oscilloscope protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

aikiko

I would like to build a protection for a sound card oscilloscope.

Here **broken link removed** they say that the inline max voltage is 0,7V

I found a circuit that do this limitation but this one said it is limiting the voltage to 12V : Buffer Hardware for xoscope

Honestly It is more likely to be the 0,7V than the 12V.

Anyone has an idea how to build a 0,7V voltage limiter ?

Start by using a 10x probe.
They are a standard item and can be bought at quite a range of prices.
**broken link removed**

The article will give you ideas, hopefully.

Last edited:
As a precaution, for all experiments with sound card oscilloscope, make sure that you are able to replace the sound card at a reasonable price if something goes wrong and damages the sound card, which would happen if you accidentally feed a voltage too large. Don't use onboard sound cards, which are not replaceable and damaging the sound card means the whole motherboard has to be replaced. Use an old PC with an ISA or PCI sound card. If you somehow damage these sound cards, replacing is easy and inexpensive.

flat5:
The thing is that I need to lower the voltage to protect my sound card because not going over 0,7 is impossible.
I did not see the point with a different probe ? So if i go over 7v it is burning my sound card ... not really an option for me.

Thanks mdanh2002 for pointing this out, but I was already exploring the old hardware boxes at my company to grab some old PCI sound cards.

If i use the circuit made for Xoscope and place a Voltage divider after would that not make distortion on the signals ?

Last edited:
flat5:
The thing is that I need to lower the voltage to protect my sound card because not going over 0,7 is impossible.
I did not see the point with a different probe ? So if i go over 7v it is burning my sound card ... not really an option for me.

Thanks mdanh2002 for pointing this out, but I was already exploring the old hardware boxes at my company to grab some old PCI sound cards.

If i use the circuit made for Xoscope and place a Voltage divider after would that not make distortion on the signals ?

hi,
I understand that Jaycar make a cheap attenuator kit for the PC sound card.

**broken link removed**

Last edited:
ericgibbs: Jaycar does not seem to chip to Europe ... and if so it will cost me a lot to send it here.

blueroomelectronics: Diode clamp I am not sure it will possible ... please explain how you think doing it with two diodes.

On where they made a interface for a soundcard oscilloscope Zelscope: Sound card oscilloscope and spectrum analyzer they talk about the Jaycar kit but also about the Xoscope buffer. But if i read the schematics correctly there it says |Vout|<12V ... but that still is more than 12 times too much even with a 10x probe... any idea if this schema can be fixed ?

As far as I understood probe circuit on xoscope R6 is a potentiometer which is used as a voltage divider to reduce the +/- 12V output of the OpAmp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back