Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound record chip and amplifier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

karenhornby

Does anyone know of a suitable sound record chip and associated circuitry to drive a speaker loud enough to be heard in a car?
The chip should have enough storage capacity for about 10 seconds of audio, and preferably be able to switch between 4 messages selected by a 16F877 or some similar kind of PIC

Radio shack ISD1000A, just the IC, 20 sec up to 160 segments, pretty basic addressing. Might work for you. I've played with this chip but not with a PIC.

Hi karenhornby,

that chip is easy to use, but you won't get around an extra amplifier for it. Use an LM386 which is also easy to use.

Boncuk

karenhornby said:
Does anyone know of a suitable sound record chip and associated circuitry to drive a speaker loud enough to be heard in a car?
The chip should have enough storage capacity for about 10 seconds of audio, and preferably be able to switch between 4 messages selected by a 16F877 or some similar kind of PIC

I imagine one of the messages: "Please pull the key for later use" :D

Another simple way: Drink at least 1/2 gallon of milk daily. It's good against "Maroditis" :D :D :D

Last edited:
The LM386 isn't loud enough to be heard in a car when it's doing 70mph down the motorway.

Use a TDA7052 which puts out much more power.

Hero999 said:
The LM386 isn't loud enough to be heard in a car when it's doing 70mph down the motorway.

Use a TDA7052 which puts out much more power.

I suggested that amplifier assuming that most of the messages will be used when the engine is idle, like "fasten seat belt" or after engine shutdown "take your key along" :D

LOL nice suggestions for messages :)
but it will actually be used as part of my Veg Oil conversion for my car, when the engine IS running or just after its been turned off, to give me an audible warning to flush the oil out of the fuel pump before turning off the engine, and providing that section works ok, I may get it to announce what fuel it is using as well as just showing which fuel on the LCD display

Hi Karen,

don't care. I'm living on the sunny side of the globe and so is my mood.

However, if the LM386 is too weak you might try an LM380 with 2.5W output power. Considering the low power necessary to listen to the radio (about 250 to 500mW) that output should do, even if your engine sounds like hammer and nails. (like all Izusu cars).

There are two versions of the LM380: 8 pin DIP and 14 pin DIP. I suggest to use the latter type. It has six extra GND pins for better cooling. Plan for at least 4 square inches of cooling surface on the solder side.

If you are in need of a circuit PCB just give me a note. I've made one with any available space as cooling pad. To increase cooling you might add an IC-heatsink.

Kind regards

Hans

ISD25120 Voice Record/Playback device has 120 seconds of time that can be broken down into six hundred 200 millisecond messages which can be selected by the microcontroller of your choice. They also have the ISD1420P which has 20 seconds total time and the ISD2560P which has 60 seconds. These are available from www.jameco.com for $12.95 USD. They have a built in amplifier but I would recommend using amplified computer speakers to get the sound volumes for in the car.

I am interested in your vegetable oil car information!!

Also, I have spent much time and money trying to use microcontrollers and just recently I have heard of the PICAXE microcontrollers. They are a specially made PIC Microcontroller. They are so easy to use that I had programs up and running on the free programmer even before I had my chips.

The interface to the computer is a standard three wire serial connection. A serial cable with flying leads on the one end and a couple of resistors is all you need to send the program to it. Microcontroller prices range from $3.50 for the 8 pin 08m version to $11.50 for the 40 pin 40X1 version in Canada. www.hvwtech.com

All the info that you need is available from www.rev-ed.co.uk

Hope this is helpful.

Carl

ISD25120 Voice Record/Playback device has 120 seconds of time that can be broken down into six hundred 200 millisecond messages which can be selected by the microcontroller of your choice. They also have the ISD1420P which has 20 seconds total time and the ISD2560P which has 60 seconds. These are available from www.jameco.com for $12.95 USD. They have a built in amplifier but I would recommend using amplified computer speakers to get the sound volumes for in the car.

I am interested in your vegetable oil car information!!

Also, I have spent much time and money trying to use microcontrollers and just recently I have heard of the PICAXE microcontrollers. They are a specially made PIC Microcontroller. They are so easy to use that I had programs up and running on the free programmer even before I had my chips.

The interface to the computer is a standard three wire serial connection. A serial cable with flying leads on the one end and a couple of resistors is all you need to send the program to it. Microcontroller prices range from $3.50 for the 8 pin 08m version to $11.50 for the 40 pin 40X1 version in Canada. www.hvwtech.com

All the info that you need is available from www.rev-ed.co.uk

Hope this is helpful.

Carl

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back