Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sound frequency counter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ikelectro

once again im stuck middle of a project(sound frequency counter)
i used a condenser mic. to amplify it i used 4069 and for counting i used 4026. but i cant really goes on with that.
im here to asked you guys how to start the project. i just want a restart with the project.
circuit will be very helpfull....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

But where should i put the condenser mic? and how to amplify it?

or anything (without microcontroller) that are able to count sound frequency. my most important problem is that i cant amplify the mic sound. plz first of all help me in that area.

do you have an oscilloscope ?

a dynamic microphone onto the input will show you the frequency of the sound

the circuit cowboybob showed you was for measuring in-circuit frequency

do you really want to measure the sound you hear ? or do you just need to know the frequency as it is in the circuit
before it gets to the speaker ?

Dave

One problem with measuring the frequency of sound picked up by a mic is that most sounds consist of many frequencies, including perhaps a dominant fundamental frequency plus its harmonics. Thus filtering of the mic signal is necessary to extract the specific component whose frequency is to be measured. Have you considered that?

Last edited:
do you have an oscilloscope ?

a dynamic microphone onto the input will show you the frequency of the sound

the circuit cowboybob showed you was for measuring in-circuit frequency

do you really want to measure the sound you hear ? or do you just need to know the frequency as it is in the circuit
before it gets to the speaker ?

Dave

im prepairing for a sound frequency counter for my guitar. it has various frequency from say 70Hz to 340 Hz.
i want to measure this....so how can i start???i try the method what i post earlier. but not so helpfull!

Last edited:
One problem with measuring the frequency of sound picked up by a mic is that most sounds consist of many frequencies, including perhaps a dominant fundamental frequency plus its harmonics. Thus filtering of the mic signal is necessary to extract the specific component whose frequency is to be measured. Have you considered that?

yes. i know that. and here is the problem that i facing. i cant minimize the noise. and the amplification section...

Nifty chip, Mike.

i want to make a frequency counter that we hear...

Not sure what your saying. :confused:

Do you want to hear the frequency? As in, it will say (speak) the frequency of the input signal?

Does your guitar have an electric pick-up? If so, it will be much better to take a signal from that instead of a mic.

Does your guitar have an electric pick-up? If so, it will be much better to take a signal from that instead of a mic.

yes, have an electric pick up.
now, what to do??plz tell.!!

Last edited:
Nifty chip, Mike.

Not sure what your saying. :confused:

Do you want to hear the frequency? As in, it will say (speak) the frequency of the input signal?

no no dear.
i just count the frequency which we can hear. like to say that if i'm talking infront of the input of that mic, it'll show me the frequency.
i want to make a frequency counter for my guitar....
Am I able to make clear enough for your understanding??

you are going wrong about this. counting is not good because your guitar can produce multiple signals at once and they vary with time. if you get mix of two signals, result will be completely meaningless. proper way is to transform signal into frequency domain by using FFT (fast Fourier transform) instead of mere counting. then you can clearly see not just frequencies of any component but also the magnitude of each component.

I think the only practical use for a frequency counter fed by the guitar pickup (or mic) would be for tuning the guitar, by playing one note at a time s-l-o-w-l-y. Playing music at a normal rate would be too fast to give a meaningful count display and, as said above, would have multiple signals to contend with. Is tuning what you intend?

Can you give a little more information about why you want to do this? If it is for tuning or analysis, have you considered one of the free sound analysis programs? I have used Audacity and Sound Ruler. They are based on the sound card in your computer. Of the two, I have used Sound Ruler more.

John

no no dear.
i just count the frequency which we can hear. like to say that if i'm talking infront of the input of that mic, it'll show me the frequency.
i want to make a frequency counter for my guitar....
Am I able to make clear enough for your understanding??

Yes. Thank you.

If I may, Another question. And let's assume you already have a frequency counter (FC).

Let's say you have a single string on your guitar tuned very carefully to middle C (261.626 Hz) and you strum it once.

The output from your guitar is fed straight into the FC, which should display 261.626 Hz, right? Just one note (frequency) being played and just one frequency be displayed by the FC.

OK. Now let's say you have TWO strings, one tuned to middle C (261.626 Hz) and the other tuned to D above middle C (293.67Hz) and you strum them both at the same time.

Now that two string output is fed into the FC. Which frequency will it show?

That's the problem your facing with your proposal.

Hope I got it right this time and not just belaboring the obvious.

I think the only practical use for a frequency counter fed by the guitar pickup (or mic) would be for tuning the guitar, by playing one note at a time s-l-o-w-l-y. Playing music at a normal rate would be too fast to give a meaningful count display and, as said above, would have multiple signals to contend with. Is tuning what you intend?

yes i want tuning the gutar.
i want to tune the guitar string by string.

Last edited:
Can you give a little more information about why you want to do this? If it is for tuning or analysis, have you considered one of the free sound analysis programs? I have used Audacity and Sound Ruler. They are based on the sound card in your computer. Of the two, I have used Sound Ruler more.

John
yes, you are right that i can do the thing with sftwr in my PC, but sometimes I go to out side from my home to play guitar, where i dont have access to computer. for this reason i want to make a frequency counter for my guitar that'll help me tune the guitar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back