Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Sony Vaio problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mikebits

For weeks, my wife's PC has been blue screening with IRQ errors. Looking up some of the error codes pointed to Dram. She normally never powers off the PC as power cycling induces premature failure. This theory was confirmed after her last BSOD, she powered down.

Upon reboot in the morning she discovered the PC was dead and would not boot.

The PC gave a continuous series of long beeps at pwr up. I looked up the POST beep codes for her Award bios and the code pointed to the DRAM.

I first tried to re socket the ram but same beeps. I then pulled the first bank of ram and swapped it with the second bank leaving second bank empty, powered up and the computer booted and went to CMOS setup. So it seems the first bank of ram was bad, or maybe a mis-socket.

The PC is a slight bit old as each bank is only 512 Meg and I worry it might be difficult to find replacment ram for her PC.

So I am wondering, would it be safe to install the questionable ram into the second bank to see if it works in that slot, or could I cause more damage?

Thanks

Just an update. I went ahead and plugged the Ram module in slot 2 and booted the PC. The pc booted and did not go to cmos, rather straight to windows, so I think the problem is corrected. My only guess is a mis socket.

---------------------------------edit-----------------------------

One more oddity, the reported ram at boot up was 256MB which is wrong. Is there a RAM test that I can Download to check this out?

Last edited:
Are both RAM sticks the same make?

Replacing the RAM should be fairly straightforward - I upgraded the RAM in my Wife's Vaio laptop which was 6 years old and it was absolutely fine (and cheap).

Last edited:
Latest finds on this problem. I found it curious that boot up only showed 256Meg a ram. As it turns out, the cmos only checks first 256Meg of ram. I looked at system info in windows and the reported ram is 768Meg. So it seems the second bank of ram is partially bad. I assume in the first 256meg as this ram failed cmos when installed in the first bank.

So I guess I need to replace the second bank.

Are both RAM sticks the same make?

Replacing the RAM should be fairly straightforward - I upgraded the RAM in my Wife's Vaio laptop which was 6 years old and it was absolutely fine (and cheap).

No, one bank is after market, it is the one that still is good. I hope our local computer stores carries old dram modules.

I've found some BIOS only report RAM correctly if the larger one is first. Others only work correctly if they are both the same.

The Award Bios, now Phoenix bios was funky. The version we have only test first 256 Meg. My AMI bios is selectable, full ram test or partial. Considering that a full ram test fail will disable your PC, I think I might switch my PC bios to partial test. At least that way I can still boot with a RAM module swap...

What kind of RAM do you need? I may have some in a spare box laying around, or know someone who might.

Thanks for the offer, but I am not sure of what type. It is old DRAM 512Meg stick, I will have to crack open the box again to get the part number but my wife does not want me to touch it, as she is happy the PC is working again :)

It is running slower than usual so maybe she will cave and let me open it up again.

Nice of you to offer though...

Nice of you to offer though...
No problem. My Dad's office replaces their boxes about every 3-4 years, and the old ones just get stuck in a closet somewhere after they are stripped of drives and whatnot. RAM is usually old enough it gets left behind. Easy place to go to for freebies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back