Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SOLID STATE AMP IMPEDANCE QUESTION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Add some protection diodes on the input in case he does it again.

As it's a valve amp (presumably?) there's not much it could damage anyway - unless of course it's only a 'pretend' valve amp and is mostly solid-state with a few valves. But even then, it shouldn't be too catastrophic.

Yeah, I don't like the shrieking of the cellos being destroyed and I don't like the hillbillies singing their Country music.
What was nice is that both songs had no fuzz and no overdriven electronics.

AC/DC never played with sinewaves, instead their fuzz and overdrive produced squarewaves.

AC/DC never played with sinewaves,

Neither do you get sinewaves from bowed instruments - the tone is a series of harmonics, resulting in a very complex waveform!

cellospectrum.png

Which is the entire point, and a great band!.

back when I was broke, the only bands that sounded good through my $69.00 car stereo were the bands that played with as much distortion as my $69.00 car stereo. I'll put AC/DC in the "were a good band based on my current taste" category. Kind of like, "Pabst Blue Ribbon Beer was a good beer based on my current taste (and financial situation) in the 1970s". Since then, I've realized i can afford to enjoy myself so I don't drink PBR and I don't listen to AC/DC.

A bowed instrument plays a waveform something like a sawtooth with all harmonics that reduce in amplitude at higher frequencies, and a flute plays something like a sinewave.
I think the only instruments that play a fuzzy overdriven waveform are an electric guitar and an electromagnet buzzer.
An acoustic guitar sounds good.

A saxophone (Reed) must look pretty square.

I think the only instruments that play a fuzzy overdriven waveform are an electric guitar and an electromagnet buzzer.
A conventional electric guitar pickup produces "clean" audio waveforms.

The same pickups are sometimes used in electro-acoustic guitars & piezo pickups as more often used in electro-acoustic guitars are sometimes used in electric guitars.

Any overdrive is an external processing effect, which can be equally used with electric guitars or electro-acoustics (or any acoustic guitar with an add-on pickup).

There is no fundamental difference in the audio signal produced from either type - it's mostly conventions and playing styles that divide the two.

Examples - go to about 0:50 in this one:

And the beginning of this one:

Last edited:
In the first video, when the acoustic guitar is playing without the later horrible distortion, I hear a lot of hiss (fuzz?) added to each pluck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back