Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solenoid Relay...How The Heck Do I Hook This Thing Up? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Im glad you understood as it is hard to find a example to explain things in basic terms one can relate to, and if you cannot relate than its just more confusing waffle.

Pete.

Now the last thing I'm wondering is, since this is a relay used with golf carts, and since golf carts usually only have 1x 36v battery source, how do they use this relay? I attached a circuit of how I think it's done, but just looking for someone to confirm. Of course it's missing the diode that is used for the motors EMF, but it's just a quick 1min sketch I did :D

The switch I have in the circuit would be the ignition from a key switch...

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 125
Your circuit is fine. The idea is a small current to the relay coil in turn controls a large current to the load (motor). SA already covered the need for the correct coil voltage well so we won't worry about that. Oh yeah, as to the contacts and current> The only thing to watch is to make sure that we don't exceed the current the contacts are rated for. Then they tend to burn up quick or worse, weld themselves shut. I never noticed a current rating for the solenoid you have? But for your app it should be fine.

Ron

Last edited:
Your drawing is close, golf carts typically have 6-6volt batteries, and the relay is wired in parallel with a speed control device. when you press the accelerator pedal to the floor, that's when the the solenoid/relay kicks in, and it shunts out (parallel) the speed control giving the motor full power.

You might even find it will latch with just 12 volts, but remember as the volts go down the amps go up that it requires to latch the relay.

For this type of application, the coil can be thought of as resistive. As you drop the voltage applied to the coil, the current will drop proportionally.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back