Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering terms ques

Status
Not open for further replies.

kentken

That are soldering pastes, and there uses?

What is soldering mask, and uses?

What are some others, and there uses?

Thanks
Kent

kentken said:
That are soldering pastes, and there uses?

What is soldering mask, and uses?

What are some others, and there uses?

Thanks
Kent

Soldering paste or flux is required to make the solder flow nicely over the contact when soldering. without it the solder would tend to stick to the soldering iron, the contact would be soldered bad.

soldering mask is the 'green paint' you see on commercial boards. commercial boards are ofthen wave soldered, wich means the pcb is dipped into a pool of solder, the sodering mask makes the solder stick only to parts where no 'paint' was applied...

The only difference that I know about is that paste is usually in a paste form and applied with an applicator. The flux is generally in liquid form and may be applied with a different applicator. A lot of solder has the flux within the core of the solder. There are different types of flux, some are water soluable, meaning they will wash off with water. The oldest and the most common for small soldering jobs is not washable with water, but cleans well with alcohol. Fux for plumbing is different and should not be used on electronic or electrical connections and it can cause corrosion of the joint.

There's a BIG difference between soldering paste and solder paste. Soldering paste is a flux. Flux is available in either liquid or paste form and used as the cleaning agent to remove contaminants while soldering.

Solder paste is a mixture of tiny balls of solder and flux, used for mounting SMT devices in place of regular solder. It's usually applied rubber-stamp fashion (e.g., silk screen) and a board is populated with parts and run through an oven to melt the paste on all the parts simultaneously. It's the SMT version of wave soldering. Solder paste is expensive stuff and is available in small tubes for hobbyist use or for repair.

Dean

what do u people use for a normal solder joint. by normal i mean through hole components (resistors, capacitors, DIP ICs)

i just use a flux cored solder. i havent used solder paste because i have never worked on small soldering jobs.

is there any benefit in using soldering paste before u apply the joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back