Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheNewGuy

Hello ETO!
Every time I buy a soldering iron, the tip ends up like this. On the cheaper soldering irons I buy, they end up like this quicker. With this one (Weller WLC100), it sat for a while then the next time I tried to use it "browned" like this. Do I need a new tip?

Attachments

• IMG_20141223_174909_CROPPED.jpg
    IMG_20141223_174909_CROPPED.jpg
    687.5 KB · Views: 242
You have a wet sponge to wipe it on?

I tried soldering with it just now, here are the results.

Attachments

• IMG_20141223_184512_CROPPED.jpg
    IMG_20141223_184512_CROPPED.jpg
    415.6 KB · Views: 212
Get the tip hot and thrust it into the golden cleaner several times. It will clean it up.

I tried soldering with it just now, here are the results.
Looking at the picture, the joints look acceptable, BUT, the length of bare wire between the solder joint and the insulation is too much, aim for 1 to 1.5 "wire diameters" of bare wire between joint and insulation.

JimB

I don't like the wet sponge; it makes soldering difficult if doing over a long day. I would rather flick it to the floor; or golden clean like Inq said.

When needed I would just rosin the tip and begin over again. The floor in the TV shop was covered. But; I had some old time repair folks to learn from.

When you don't have the money to get good clean material you do what you have to do.

kv

Your cheapo soldering iron has a light dimmer for you to fiddle with its power. Sitting there its tip gets hotter and hotter and browner and browner as the rosin and its tip burns, then when you begin soldering it gets colder and colder.
My Weller soldering iron has automatic temperature regulation. It is always at the correct temperature and has nothing to fiddle with. Mine also has more power than yours that is automatically used only when it is needed.

Get the tip hot and thrust it into the golden cleaner several times. It will clean it up.

I tried this, and this made it look a tad bit better. Thank you.

Looking at the picture, the joints look acceptable, BUT, the length of bare wire between the solder joint and the insulation is too much, aim for 1 to 1.5 "wire diameters" of bare wire between joint and insulation.

JimB

You know, I was actually wondering about that. I will keep this in mind next time. Thank you.

I don't like the wet sponge; it makes soldering difficult if doing over a long day. I would rather flick it to the floor; or golden clean like Inq said.

When needed I would just rosin the tip and begin over again. The floor in the TV shop was covered. But; I had some old time repair folks to learn from.

When you don't have the money to get good clean material you do what you have to do.

kv

I've heard somewhere that the sponge isn't good for the tip because it shocks the hot tip with a much cooler one. How does the sponge make soldering difficult though?

Also, as a student who is perpetually low on funds I know what you mean!

Your cheapo soldering iron has a light dimmer for you to fiddle with its power. Sitting there its tip gets hotter and hotter and browner and browner as the rosin and its tip burns, then when you begin soldering it gets colder and colder.
My Weller soldering iron has automatic temperature regulation. It is always at the correct temperature and has nothing to fiddle with. Mine also has more power than yours that is automatically used only when it is needed.

That's a good point, can you belive that this is an upgrade from the one I had before this? :/ The one I had before was some off brand one that didn't let you change the temperature. I should probably invest in a better one. Thank you.

My Weller soldering iron with regulated temperature was not expensive because it does not have a Mickey Mouse light dimmer circuit in it. It uses the "Curie" theory and simply uses a magnet pulling on a switch. When the tip reaches the required temperature then the magnet becomes non-magnetic and a spring turns off the switch. When the tip cools a little then the magnet pulls the switch and turns it on. I hear it clicking on and off.

I've heard somewhere that the sponge isn't good for the tip because it shocks the hot tip

Also, as a student who is perpetually low on funds I know what you mean!

I like the tip as warm as it needs to be at all times. I don't like to wait for it to get to temp to get back up after cleaning; and yes it does shock the tip. Plus, the hole point of flux is to keep the tip from forming oxides.

Then ask yourself what is water?

Thats why I use the golden cleaner; it wears the tip a bit but it's worth it. My soldering Iron has a Temp setting at home and I only paid something like $15 for it.

AG, I bought one of those simple Weller 'stations' in 1986. It worked for a few months.
I looked at the replacement prices and discarded the iron.
A few years later I read on the Net that you can often get the iron to work again by banging it on the workbench one or more times. I guess something sticks in the iron.
Weller simple station.jpg

Last edited:
My Weller soldering iron with regulated temperature was not expensive because it does not have a Mickey Mouse light dimmer circuit in it. It uses the "Curie" theory and simply uses a magnet pulling on a switch. When the tip reaches the required temperature then the magnet becomes non-magnetic and a spring turns off the switch. When the tip cools a little then the magnet pulls the switch and turns it on. I hear it clicking on and off.
That would be the Scrooge system I suppose

A few months ago I bought some soldering stuff from a cheap source in China.
Banggood.com

Model 220V Eu Plug HAKKO 936 Soldering Station Kit. I bought an extra iron and many tips. 110v available. ~47 Euros
I can have two tips ready. Just change out the irons. <2 minutes to heat.
https://www.banggood.com/HAKKO-936-...ring-HandleA1321-Heating-Element-p-90790.html

Hakko FG-100 Soldering Iron Tip Thermometer Temperature Tester 0-700C. Cool item to have. 9 Euros
https://www.banggood.com/Hakko-FG-1...ometer-Temperature-Tester-0-700-p-952899.html

Heavy Duty Soldering Iron Tip Cleaner Steel Wire <4 Euros w/enclosure
**broken link removed**

I have 5 suckers but really like this one. One hand operation. cheap
Sucking Vacuum Desoldering Pump Solder Sucker Remover Tool
https://www.banggood.com/Sucking-Vacuum-Desoldering-Pump-Solder-Sucker-Remover-Tool-p-932434.html

I can not recommend this SMD station. Does not get hot enough or something. Maybe it's me. 20 Euros
**broken link removed**

This is a useful de-soldering iron. <7 Euros
**broken link removed**

I see there is another model now offered that looks more convenient. One hand operation. <7 Euros

I've used a simple RS (yeah, I know...) 15W iron for years. Same tip it came with (little sucker - perfect for PCBs).

The iron holder came with a small, square sponge (replaced beaucoup times) that I always twist-wipe the tip on after every use. The sponge is damp. NOT sopping.

There is a short (short) period of time where the tip needs to come back up to temp, but that is rarely an issue.

Truthfully, the best soldering iron I've ever owned (and the cheapest).

I also was using a such an iron. It worked well but I did not enjoy using it.
The power cord was thick, heavy and inflexible.
When I was a kid, (~1959) I used an old 100 watt soldering iron.
The iron was heavy and the cord was very light and flexible with a woven covering.
Something like this.
american-beauty-3138.jpg

Last edited:
AG, I bought one of those simple Weller 'stations' in 1986. It worked for a few months.
I looked at the replacement prices and discarded the iron.
A few years later I read on the Net that you can often get the iron to work again by banging it on the workbench one or more times. I guess something sticks in the iron.
View attachment 89921

More likely your wiper needed some cleaning or replacement. Over time you can develop poor contact and the banging re-established it temporarily.

kv

Hello,

From what i can see of the very first photo in this thread, it looks more or less normal to me. The tip gets a little flux on it and it burns and looks brown.

To get it off, use a paper napkin quickly brushing it off with that. A wet sponge could hurt the plating so i never use one. Once the plating goes the tip erodes fast. If you have a tip cleaner than that should work ok.

So you are going to get some brown on the tip, and if you want it off you just clean it off.

To get the excess solder off the tip i find that lightly tapping the iron on the rim of a tin can works good. The solder then drops into the can.

Also, as JimB said, it looks like you might have too much bare wire on your connection. If it shorts to another pin it could cause big problems.
Another idea is to angle it out away from the connector rather than parallel to the connector body.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back