Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Soldering issue for RS232 Serial connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimulation

I am trying to make a cicuitboard for my circuit which is prototypes on the breadboard.

There are serial port Tx and Rx pins from a PIC16f688 which i use to interface to the PC. On the breadboard these work fine, when i soldered these onto my board the trasmission has a lot of errors. I have checked the connections and I am using wires to solder these onto the board.

Is there a recommended way of soldering when a serial transmission is concernced. What can be done to prevent these errors.

Best Regards and TIA.
Sumit

You have to use a MAX232 to get the correct voltage levels, if you want to connect your PIC to a RS232 port.

You have to use a MAX232 to get the correct voltage levels, if you want to connect your PIC to a RS232 port.
Depends on the serial port. I have a Dell Laptop with a serial port and it reads CMOS 0-5V levels just fine.

Besides, if I'm interpreting the OP's post correctly, this used to work while his circuit was on a bread board, but it began not working properly when he built a permanent circuit.

My guess is that there is a missing ground between the computer's serial port and the circuit. The PIC Vss pin has to be wired the computer's ground (pin 5 on the serial port?).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back