Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the solder I have, except mine is 0.8mm. Is there much benefit to going with something else? I don't think I'll run out of this before I die, but I may actually get the 0.6mm stuff.

Jameco - 1.1-Pound Rosin Cored 0.025 Inch Diameter 60/40 Solder Wire
2238135.jpg
Depends on if you ever want to do any surface mount soldering. 0.8 mm is fine for large through-hole stuff, but 0805 and smaller I always use 0.4 mm and wouldn't even consider using anything larger.

Depends on if you ever want to do any surface mount soldering. 0.8 mm is fine for large through-hole stuff, but 0805 and smaller I always use 0.4 mm and wouldn't even consider using anything larger.

But on the other hand 0.4mm is far too thin for through hole - 0.8mm is probably a 'reasonable' compromise - but the best option is to have (at least) two different thicknesses of solder.

I beg to differ on that point, as the 7 pages of posts will attest. There are some 60/40 solders being sold that are crap. As I explained earlier, I bought some solder from Banggood that was horrible. I can't even explain its properties. Some of it worked very well, and inches later, it would hardly even melt in direct contact with the soldering iron. The only possible explanation I can see is a non-uniform alloy.

Another point to consider is the type of flux in the solder. The smoke from some of the "water clean" fluxes really makes my eyes burn, and you MUST clean the flux or it corrodes the connections.

Rosin core by Weller is my preferred solder.

But on the other hand 0.4mm is far too thin for through hole - 0.8mm is probably a 'reasonable' compromise - but the best option is to have (at least) two different thicknesses of solder.
Of course, I meant buying 0.4mm in addition to the 0.8mm he already had, strictly for use for SMT soldering.

Visitor, you are the person who said that the Banggood solder you purchased was horrible and had VERY poor quality.
I am called a "racist" because Banggood is not a company in my country? At home I am friends with my Chinese neighbors.
Everybody knows that they make a lot of very cheap junk over there and make many fake or defective electronic parts.

Ahem....solder.

Where did it go off the rails? I guess there's always time for a denigrating remark.

Banggood is Chinese, why would anybody buy solder from them? Oh, because it is cheeeeep?

I refer you back to my post. 60/40 or better 63/37* solder, with a rosin core** from a name brand like Weller.

*63/37 is eutectic solder. That means it instantly changes from liquid to solid, without going through a plastic phase. You don't have to worry about the joint moving as it cools down.

** Rosin is the best all-around flux in my opinion. In most applications, you don't have to clean it off, it smells pleasant in use (coming from the sap of pine trees) and the smoke isn't inflammatory as from some of the other types.

True confession: my favorite solder used to be Radio Shack's standard lead stuff. Always good performance, 60/40 with rosin flux. I was too slow hitting the store-closing sales and didn't manage to squirrel much of it away.

True confession: my favorite solder used to be Radio Shack's standard lead stuff. Always good performance, 60/40 with rosin flux. I was too slow hitting the store-closing sales and didn't manage to squirrel much of it away.

Which one?...Didn't they have several? I still have a small tube of fine dull-looking gray solder.

I think this is what I used to use.

Radio Shack is in a strange position – bankrupt with most stores closed, but still on-line and trying to sell components at inflated prices.

SmartSelect_20200810-190231_Firefox.jpg

I have received ONE poor quality product from Banggood out of many.
I'd guess that you are in the majority among the members here, who report that they purchase stuff from Banggood.
I seem to remember Nigel Goodwin, who buys a lot, had an order of, I think, RTC boards (DS3231?), which looked like they were trampled, or run over by a wheel - refunded no problem.
My experience with Banggood has been great, and I have purchased many things:
RGB TH LEDs, CA and CC
7-seg LED displays
74HC595 shift registers
555 timers
Op-Amps
WS2812 SMD LEDs, bare and on PCBs
TH resistors, diodes/zeners, caps, inductors
SMD resistors, caps, inductors
Arduino Nanos, Unos, Megas
ESP-01s, ESP32s
I2C and SPI OLEDs
SO-8 test clips & breakout boards
S0-16 breakout boards
Test-points & Pogo pins, header pins
DSO138 toy o-scope, sig-gen & component tester
2 x function generators/AWG
2020 profile extrusions and hardware
3D printer supplies including heaters, thermisters, heated bed plates, hot ends and heat-breaks, fans, 3D printing pen
Stepper motors and driver boards - A4988, DRV8825, TB6600, DM542
Toothed belt and drive/idler gears
Linear rails and ball-screws
Nut/bolt kits - M2 to M6
Switching power supplies
Brushed/BLDC spindle motor packages
Li-Ion charger boards and boost-converters, battery cell holders
Transistor/trim-pot/20-turn/voltage-reg/USB connector kits
Panel meters, shunts, inductive probes
LCD & GLCD displays
The list goes on....

But, the ONLY thing I have ever had a problem with, was ONE 128x64 OLED display, where the lower corner of the glass was cracked, resulting in alternate lines not being displayed.

Pic of the problem was submitted and a new item was shipped out the next day.

My 0.02

I only complaint I have with Banggood is that shipping can vary from "a long time" to "almost forever" and a given order may be split into several shipments.

I only complaint I have with Banggood is that shipping can vary from "a long time" to "almost forever" and a given order may be split into several shipments.

Fairly obviously Banggood, exactly like AliExpress and Alibaba, are just a portal - the actual goods and shipping are done by the vendors - just the same as Amazon Marketplace (and delivery times are just as good/crap).

Ordering from China needs to done with 'thought' - order more than you want, and order before you need it :D

If you want prompt delivery, then order from your own country (if it's even available)and pay the much higher prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back