Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solder Mask

Status
Not open for further replies.

CoTang

Hello, I create my own circuit boards for personal use and I would like it to look perfessional, I would like to have that green (or any other color) solder mask on it. I was wondering if I can actually purchase a can of that stuff and what it would come in, meaning is it a spray or is it a paint liquid form. Thanks again.

The whole point of a solder mask is that it's typically applied using silk screen techniques and it covers the entire back of the board except for the pads where there are to be soldering operations. The mask keeps stray solder from bridging across close traces. So spraying it on after assembly wouldn't make a lot of sense.

Sounds more like you're wanting a conformal coating to protect the finished board from corrosion. You can get that using an acrylic spray (e.g., Krylon Clear Spray here in the U.S.). If you insist on green (I've also seen red and blue solder mask), just find a can of green spray paint and use it. I would test it out first to check on conductivity when it's dry. Also, any coating can shift stray capacitances very slightly so that you wouldn't want to align a radio circuit until after the coating is dry, especially if it operated in the VHF or UHF range.

Yup, I know about conformal coating but I want the green solder mask, I'll do the silk screen myself if need be, but just carious if I can actually purchased any.

solder mask "look"

Take a look at **broken link removed** under "supplies". The green TRF film looks like it may be useful before etching, and the Testors "solder mask" spray paint for after. You can probably find the Testors spray paint for less elsewhere, http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes1224.htm for example. I haven't used either of these products yet, so I can't vouch for them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back