Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Panel Charging

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeWawaw

Hi, i bought a solar panel along with a charge controller to charge a 12V car battery. The battery will basically always have a small load, occasionally driving a bigger load. What i was wondering was whether the solar panel needs to be physically disconnected while there is a load.
During a higher load (400W), will my small 20W solar panel get damaged? I dont know much about whether they have a shutoff when the leads are short-circuited, or if its ok to short circuit their leads. I don't know if charge controllers can sense whether the battery is driving a load, or even if its possible for them to know. I quickly drew up a rough schematic for this situation. Thanks

Attachments

• solar.png
    solar.png
    4.5 KB · Views: 151
The panel will be fine.

Since you should never allow a lead-acid starting battery to discharge below about 12V (as low as you should ever go), the panel will always see a load voltage somewhere between 12V and about 14.5V (just prior to reaching full charge).

You really should have an auto-load disconnect to prevent deep-cycling the battery. An automotive starting battery is only good for a few (less than ten) deep discharges, and then you might as well recycle it. In a car, a starting battery lives its whole life between fully-charged and maybe 80% charged. It is normally only discharged below 80% if you do the dumb-shxx thing and leave the lights on when parked.

The load will not damage the panel.

Although 20W panel will probably not produce enough to maintain the loads you describe.

There's a cutoff circuit in the charge controller. Also, my 400W load is handled by the battery and only going to come on for short periods of time in long intervals, so i don't think the battery would go through a deep cycle charge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back