Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Solar Cell

Status
Not open for further replies.

yewnen

Hi,

I'm thinking of doing a project where by there will be a solar cell panel which will able to produce 18V(DC) and this output voltage is then converted become 240V(AC) 50Hz. Is there any way to do this? Please.... thanks! If possible, can you please give me the schematic diagram and part list as well? Thanks!

Do an advanced search on google - for inverter - and you will find lots of circuits. Just adapt one to suit your needs.

As you are trading current for voltage you might find that you only have mA to play with at 240V.

is the inverter able to produce a 240V ac (13A) from a 18V solar cell panel? Any recommendation on what solar cell should I use? thanks!

I really need advice on solar cell. How big of the solar panel should I use to produce 18V of voltage? I'm a newbie here. Thanks for helping me... ;)

Hate to think of the line losses connecting all those panels together.

I could cover my roof in panels & get just enough juice to power the pond pumps.

I mean how what type of solar cell should I use to produce 18V DC output? any recommended inverter circuitry? thanks!

If the object is to end up with 240 volts, why are you stuck on 18 volts coming from the solar panel? Recommend you start your project with the inverter. You have already said that you want 240 vac @ 13 A output - right? Assuming you are sure about that, then look for an inverter that can produce that output. The input requirement of the inverter will dictate your solar panel parts, circuitry, and size.

I know this seams backwards from your original approach but I think it will do two things. (1) it will give you a definate plan that WILL work and (2) it will give you an appreciation of just how many solar cells are needed to get that 13 A you wanted.

Have fun....

A four-inch silicon cell can produce about one watt of DC electricity.
Any size silicon cell produces approximately one half volt.
The above work in a perfect world, plan accordingly.
If you can get 10 amps of power at any voltage my hat is off to you sir.

Most solar installations don't run the entire load off the cells, anyway. There is a battery bank, which supplies power to the inverter, and the cells are used to charge the battery, when the load is switched off.

The batteries can supply much higher current than the cells can... :p

So, I piece of solar cell with any size is able to produce 1.5V. In order to produce 18V, there will be 12 solar cells needed right?

Where can I get all the solar cells? which one is better or cheaper? I have found the circuitry of an DC to AC inverter, and I'm doing some studies in this.

Using a rechargable batteries will produce higher current? it's that true?

Please guide me, I'm still abit lost. Thanks!

yewnen,

You're right, you are lost!

You are not considering electrical quantities such as current (therefore power), which are more important then voltage in your situation. There is no way that you can power a 240Vac 13A load with a few little solar cells, it is impossible. Let's do a rough estimate here.. You are asking for 3120W of raw power at your load. Your inverting process isn't perfect either, so you are looking at probably 4000W of solar power including resistive losses. For example.. I found a 120W panel that is 56" X 26" that costs 732$.. You need around 33 of them, which equates to nearly 25000$ of solar panels and 4000 square feet of panelling..

If your average current was half, then you need about half of the solar panels, but you need a battery backup that will hold the charge until it is ready to be used. I hope that you find another solution to your problem..

Steve

Mosfet said:
1/2 volt per cell
0.5 volt per cell
one half volt per cell
18 volts = 36 cells
[better to get 40]

Did you really need to show two other ways of saying 0.5V/cell? Let's not patronize this person asking for help, let's guide and show him the reality of the situation.

Steve

That's a good approach. Consider

1. 40 cells = 18 volts - producing almost no current.
2. Add another 40 cells in parallel and you get 18 volts with a little more current.
3. Add another 40 cells in parallel and you still have 18 volts but you can now measure the current with a very sensitive mA meter.
4. Add another 40 cells . . .

on and on and on....

Scubasteve said:
Did you really need to show two other ways of saying 0.5V/cell? Let's not patronize this person asking for help, let's guide and show him the reality of the situation.

Steve

My apologies to all, my thoughts are on providing concise information, not patronizing.
My flippancy, when it occurs is far more obvious. Have you heard of transference sir?

**broken link removed**

Hehe Gene 8)

Hey Mosfet,

hmmm, oh well, I am sure everyone will forgive you :wink:

con·cise ( P ) Pronunciation Key (kn-ss)
adj.
Expressing much in few words; clear and succinct.

Please note the origin of the original poster, "M'sia"
Perhaps English is not this person's first language.
My original reply, "approximately one half volt".
The reply to my post, "able to produce 1.5V".
Many languages differ from English syntactically.
This means that literal translations can be in error.
Perhaps this subtlety escaped you?
If I am building an electrical device and have misjudged the value of a component by 300 per cent I hope some one will make the effort to point this out to me.

This is turning into a totally different discussion.. Perhaps we should make the effort to translate to the poster's native tongue? Don't be too defensive, I was just poking a little fun at you..

I'm sorry that I offended you, my intentions weren't bad.

Steve

wow~ what a BIG piece of solar cell panel and it's really expensive! anyway, thanks for your advices. Please, sorry for my broken english. :oops:

The question requires me to go to the Telecom office to borrow a solar cell panel and start doing the project.

Well, I've found some inverter circuit via the internet and I'm now sure whether does the circuit is able to produce 13A of current. Anyway, it's a good try for me. Is there any recommended circuits?

For your informations, I have never seen solar cell before, that's why I'm lost. Thank you all for guiding me. Can you all guide me? thanks!

You're going to borrow 40000 square feet of solar panels?

The inverter circuit should be the least of your worries..

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back