Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

30W solar panel enough to maintain a 6S /8aH lithium battery bank?

nzoomed

Im wanting to build a battery bank that is solar powered to keep a reolink security camera going, i havent measured its power usage yet, but the power adapter it comes with is rated at 1A/12V so is 12W in total, would be drawing this much power 24/7
battery bank would be about 200W at 25V full capacity x 8aH (might be able to use 5aH 21700 cells to make it 10aH
The idea is that the battery only needs to keep the camera at night and allow a bit extra for low light, lets say the camera uses the full12W to run then thats about 280W per 24 hours, but about only 12 hours will be low light/dark every day.
a 30W panel should be able to charge the battery on a good sunny day I worked out and still have enough to run the camera at the same time.
The real question is now much i need to add for compensating a cloudy day?

The long term average from a solar panel in the UK is around 8 - 9% of it's rated maximum power.

For a 30W panel, that means around 2.4 - 2.5W long term average (24/7 throughout the year).

Other countries will have different ratios, but for anywhere like here, you would likely need panel with a total rating of 200W or more to maintain the camera without any other power - plus batteries large enough to maintain it through several days of bad weather!

thats quite low, im assuming thats an average of its rated output over 24 hours?
Im in new zealand and have more daylight than the UK over the winter period.

OK, a quick search shows around 16% for New Zealand (again, yearly 24/7 average); twice the UK output.

So around 100W of panel rating?
Yeah, that seems a bit more reasonable, I was hoping I could make the unit a bit smaller, but I'm thinking I could potentially simulate a cloudy day of operation by covering part of the panel perhaps?

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back