Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Software for 3D printing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pommie

Most Helpful Member
I recently acquired a Kossel type printer and wondered what people use to create objects. I started of using the free online Tinkercad from Autodesk but quickly outgrew that.

I've now started to play with OpenSCad (Open Source CAD) which uses a programming language to generate shapes.

A project I'm currently playing with needs 144 interrupts per revolution and so I am using three lines of holes to generate 3 separate interrupts. The code to generate this object is in the attached image.

It seems to be a very powerful and flexible program.

Mike. OpenSCAD.png

I'm using Fusion 360 from Autodesk. I have OpenSCad, but only use it for viewing those files, maybe I should look a little deeper into it.

If you make less than 100k per year, from using F360, you get a startup license which is free.

Designspark Mechanical, from RS Components, is free and very good.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/generalDisplay.html?id=designspark/designspark-mechanical

It's one of the few that allows you to directly set dimensions.
I made a replacement battery cover for an item, complete with "hinge" hooks and spring loaded latches & it clipped in place on the first go. Just done by measuring the required sizes from the device with vernier calipers.

(Using an Overlord Pro printer).

An interesting problem raised it's head. I added a motor mount hub and a fan to the item in the first post and tried to print it. The print was just a random mess. I wondered if maybe the model wasn't manifold so used a microsoft site to fix it. The file went from 3M to 170K and printed correctly. Anyone any idea what could be causing this?

Mike.

i find autodesk inventor great for making shapes for hardware models

a curved surface has a infinate amount of points ... but is scaled down based on resolution
you would want more points for a animation or graphic over a 1mm resolution of a 3d printer
... also not all obj files are decoded equally

printing a cube only needs 8points (of 3 vectors) = 24 bytes ... kinda mostly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back