Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

So what's got your underwear frosted?

How do you rate your weather this winter.

• Freakin cold.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It's so cold I hate everything and and everyone.

• To drunk to notice.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
JoeJester said:
NET NANNY software ... could be installed anywhere, even in schools.

Interesting.

Makes you wonder if there is a menu of "bad" words a user can select and/or if the user can add those they find offensive?

Given how fluid language is and the PC police, seems like it'd be a full time job updating the list.

I am curious (and not a little concerned), however, where this new right not to be offended is leading...

I am curious (and not a little concerned), however, where this new right not to be offended is leading...

I am offended by people rights to not be offended so I preemptively counter my potentially being offended by offending them first. :D

My standard for words is if they get by spell check and any common auto profanity editing systems they are obviously allowable on the site. I don't need to complicate my life any further than that if anyone feels the absolute need to correct me on it I think they are being a putz. :troll:

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=putz

Last edited:
I was unaware of the urbandictionary.com site.

Pretty much makes my point. In spades.

You might be surprised at how offended some people can get if an official definition of something is given that does not match their perceived understandings. :rolleyes:

I have seen people argue that any site that has words they perceive as to be profanity or close to profanity should not be allowed to exist. Even ones like the online dictionary thesaurus and similar language and grammar sites that give the most correct definitions to the words they don't like even if they are used in as rational and scientifically neutral tone and context as possible. :p

It's like being told they believe in freedom of speech. Not everyone's freedom, just theirs. :confused:

BTW the right to freedom of speech and what it entails is not what most people think it is or stands for. :facepalm:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freedom_of_speech

Just thinking about all this talk about rights.

When each of us registered we agreed to some version of this:
You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content,

On this site what is objectionable is determined by ElectroMaster and by proxy his agents the moderators.

I work in a school one day a week and web access is interesting, sites are either allowed, blocked or undefined (you can request these be classified). The people who decide seem to weigh up the educational value versus the (inevitable) level of profanity. IMHO ETO swings the needle very much towards the education side and I think for ETO to get on the blocked list would require the level of profanity to increase 1000 fold.

Mike.

Don't get me wrong here, I can match a sailor when I am at work or out fishing with the lads, etc.
There is a difference there though - there are no women or impressionable children around to hear.
If we are out in a bar or club, if there is a chance that anyone might offended, the language and volume is kept to a minimum, because few people like to be around a loudmouth.

What I find to be objectionable is not the word itself, although I don't think it is appropriate to teach it to a child, but the fact that the forum rules have recently been rewritten, in order for some parts to be more clearly defined, at the behest of a few and certain language is covered in rule #3.

Were the rules revised in order for a certain few to have clear guidelines, allowing them to now dance along the new thin line and stick a toe over every now and again, whilst otherwise posting pretty good content?

There are a large number of members who have never needed to be moderated, simply because they know what is acceptable in public and construct their posts accordingly.
There are others who have needed moderating once, or a couple of times and there are others who have needed moderating more than that.....why is that?
What motivates certain obviously intelligent individuals to see how often they can step on the line, or cross it?
What drives the same intelligent individual(s) to stealthily goad other members, then follow up with some form of 'smiley' as a token of jest?
"There's many a true word spoken in jest."

There would be, I guess, very few members on here who know each other personally.
Some members come across as pretty likeable through their posts and could be the same in person.
Some members come across as pretty likeable through their posts and could be the total opposite in person.
Some members come across as arrogant through their posts etc....
Some members come across as a know-it-all etc.
Some members....blah blah blah.

Basically, your online persona defines the way other people, who don't know you, perceive you.
If you want to portray yourself in a certain way, you can't really complain if others form an opinion based upon it, regardless of whether that opinion is spot-on in real life, or completely off.

Regards.

Oh, in order to keep on topic, it's still quite warm here, but the wind is getting up a little right now. Fine for a polo shirt though.

Well I started the thread and my thoughts tend to wander at times plus this is the off topic section so I have no complaints as to where we are at now. ;)

As far as teaching kids go I remember way too much of my childhood as is and that what adults didn't want to teach me was what I did my best to learn on my own and learn it well.

Now relating to this sites school usage I think that Little Ghostman is a prime example of the earliest typical age group that would have any level of electronics interest and internet access to be able to come here.
The preteen interest levels are rarely developed enough to have much interest in this sort of site so to me PG13 is the range of language I keep things too.

Learning the words you are not suppposed to be using is a part of growing up, but maturing is determining when not to use them.
Certain words are invented, others evolve over the years and take on different meanings. I have quite a full repertoire, many of which would be lost on you and I'd imagine you have a similar amount which I wouldn't understand, but I won't be sharing mine in public.
When interacting on a globally-accessible forum, there isn't any real need to push one's luck....there are plenty of words in the English language which can accurately portray any given situation, without having to resort to any form of profanity, whether it's rated for a certain TV grade.

For the purposes of this site sanity, I have asked a local headmaster of a junior school for his definition...

He said.. " Friggin " will not be tolerated at his school whereas "Freakin" is..

So by this ruling I'll edit to suit.... For the record just use the latter please....

Fair????

He said.. " Friggin " will not be tolerated at his school whereas "Freakin" is..

Truth is, I have invited many people to this site, and all are familiar with the use of both and consider them vulgar. I don't; but that's not the point is it.

I actually couldn't find anything in the Vote that applied? I thought I would include our storms in Utah; just to help the Thread. Sorry.

Last edited:
So basically the general consensus on words is about the same as it is for weather tolerance and religious beliefs.

Your personal views are the right one and everyone elses is either too high or too low and should thusly adjust theirs to match yours. :rolleyes:

Sounds about normal to me.

So basically the general consensus on words is about the same as it is for weather tolerance and religious beliefs.

Your personal views are the right one and everyone elses is either too high or too low and should thusly adjust theirs to match yours. :rolleyes:

Sounds about normal to me.

If you say so? I'm not sure. I just know where I live and what people think about the hole thing. Just saying.

in the mid 1990s I set up the system at the local high school in a little town. We used net nanny on the gateway. That weekend, I invited 5 adults to search for all the adult subjects they can think of to check out net nanny.

Playboy was blocked. Playgirl wasn't. Those two I remember immediately. We all got carried away with the searching ... both men and women.

If you say so? I'm not sure. I just know where I live and what people think about the hole thing. Just saying.
I don't say anything.
I was generalizing the overall comments on this thread about what words are acceptable and what are not or are questionable.

To me it's like defining when its 'too cold' outside. Whose definition is the correct one? Someone from mid equatorial regions where they find anything under 50 F as 'too cold' or someone from northern Canada where -40F or worse without windchill is 'too cold'.

Similar to how the reasoning of 'If you are not of my subsect of religion XYZ' your beliefs are wrong.

When does something go beyond politically aware and become irrationally sensitive?

In these forums. as in most, there is a bad word filter. You can type all the **** you want, but the users will see ****.

Mickster, I agree with a lot of you posting. Some members are cognizant of their postings and how some may perceive the poster. The internet isn't the wild wild west.

Last edited:
Yea, and it's fun to create anti-countermeasures especially on ebay when you want to communicate your email address etc.

Ligitimately, I wanted to link to another ebay post and could not to describe what should have been included. Sorry, won't go into details.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back