Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Snowmobile Tach/Pulse Adapter

Status
Not open for further replies.

drew.hinds10

I'm trying to add a tach to my 2000 Arctic Cat. It has a 370 2 stroke 2 cylinder. It requires a 4 pulse tach (which is extremely expensive). I have a 6 pulse and need to convert it with a universal pulse adaptor. What in : out ratio would I need to use? I'm not super familiar with pulses or tachs in general (I know the basics but that's it) so I'm not too great at deciphering this sheet.

hi,
Are you saying that the Cat has 4 pulse Tacho output pulse rate and you want to convert the 4 pulses to 6, in order to drive a 6 pulse Tacho display.?

E

I believe it's an electrical pulse, Max rpm is 10,000. Can't get a picture of the tach right now. It hooks up off of the coil I believe.

Forgot to mention I have it hooked up right now without the adaptor in, it reads 500rpm when it should read about 3,000 (guessing off of sound)

hi,
If you don't have the facilities to program a PIC, this is one option using logic IC's.

It is a very basic circuit as you have not specified the required voltage levels or drive capability required for the pulses in and out.

One image shows the operation at 1000 pps and the other at 10,000 pps.

E

EDIT:

Forgot to mention I have it hooked up right now without the adaptor in, it reads 500rpm when it should read about 3,000 (guessing off of sound)

That's a difference of 6 times.?
Which does not match up with your original post.??

Attachments

• A03.gif
    A03.gif
    46.3 KB · Views: 269
  • A04.gif
    A04.gif
    44.9 KB · Views: 269
  • Mult4_6d.asc
    2.5 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:
hi 10,
If you decide that you want to build the device, let me know and I will post a more detailed/optimised circuit.
The circuit posted above gives a 2:3 ratio ie: 4 pulses in with 6 pulses out.
The method is the 4 pulses are doubled to produce 8 pulses, then the divider blocks 2 of these pulses, so the output is 6 pulses.

But I must know from you the input signal specification. ie: voltage levels from the 4 Tacho source
Also the output drive voltage/current required to drive the 6 Tacho.

E

If you decide to put a simple micro in series... I've set up a CCP module to capture 4 input pulses and send out 6 in the same time frame..

I too need to know the voltage and current required to drive the Tacho..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back