Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SMD Component Identification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shivleo

:?:
Hi everyone. I am wondering if anyone can guide me on how to identify the value of SMD Capacitors, with and without the use of instruments.
Eagerly awaiting a positive reply.
:!:

Here is no positive reply: SMD capacitors haven't any marking. The value appear only on tape-reel, if You found it in circuit, can't avoid the measure...

SMT Caps

Measuring is the only way to go. The only caps that are marked are the square epoxy-packaged tantalums. Resistor values are usually marked on them. But ceramic caps remain unmarked. I need to work up an illustration for the special tools I made for measuring SMT parts. I made two.

One is similar to a Kelvin clip where I've soldered a tiny piece of double-sided PCB material to the inside of one jaw of an alligator clip. To the isolated side of this bit of material, I soldered a very flexible wire about three inches long and have a banana plug attached to the end of it. Another banana plug is soldered to the "wire end" of the alligator clip. The clip is plugged into the "-" connection of a digital cap meter while the loose clip goes into the "+" connection. This gives a low-capacitance test jig for those small-value ceramics. Just use tweezers to mount a cap between the jaws of the clip and meausre. I always hole the jaws open with a thick piece of plastic and zero the meter for more accurate readings.

The second tool I made is a pair of tweezers with double-sided PCB pads soldered to the tips. The inside of these pads connect to small coax cable about two feet long, the other end of which has banana plugs for connection to a digtal cap meter or a DMM. You can pick up parts, make a measurement and place the parts in a sorted pile, all in one easy step. It's great for verifying resistor values but has a lot of capacitance so is only good for rough sorting.

Dean

Component Identification

There is usefull program that quickly identifies all sorts of new and old capacitors and resistors and coils, components for old radios and electronics. The program is called Electronics Genius and can be found at www.electronicsgenius.com
The program also has other tools in it like automated ohms law and series parallel calculators for resistor and capacitors.
You can usually get the program on ebay or from the author (steveo@electronicsgenius.com) for half the retail price($39)!
Hope this helps!

c-ya 8)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

New Articles From Microcontroller Tips

Back