Continue to Site

Welcome to our site!

Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

• Welcome to our site! Electro Tech is an online community (with over 170,000 members) who enjoy talking about and building electronic circuits, projects and gadgets. To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Smart Car

Status
Not open for further replies.

emmawatson

I want to make a project which is something like this....
a car which has to reach the desired destination....i mean there is model of city made with roads....now we assign the car its destination(coordinates is given as input)...the job of the car is to detect the turns(right,left,front)and calculate periodically if it is going in right path(if it is diverging from destiny it has to detect and come back by taking another root or whatever)and stop when it reaches its destination..here the map of the city is not given as input in car.....one may strike with an idea that one can use GPS to track the path....If that's the case there is no need to build this project....i want it to build using sensors or alike which can detect obstacles in its way and reach its destination in whatever possible ways....

You need to design a human to drive the car.
A human has the sensors that are needed to do the job.

A car manufacturer showed a car that was driven by a robot. It drove the car very poorly and they spent millions of dollars on it.

My daughter's GPS warns that a turn is coming then says, "Turn left here now".
The GPS doesn't detect obstacles or traffic lights.

BMW (I think) has an autonomous vehicle but they have spent millions developing it.

Top Gear (in the UK) had an article on the program where it went round the track in a reasonable time.

picbits said:
BMW (I think) has an autonomous vehicle but they have spent millions developing it.

Top Gear (in the UK) had an article on the program where it went round the track in a reasonable time.

Yeah they're not quite there with that yet though. The computer installed in the BMW had "learnt" the track, and GPS was only used to determine it's position on the track. What I'm trying to say is, you couldn't just put that car on a public road and expect it to drive you somewhere - it's not capable of that.

I think we will get there one day with autonomous vehicles. The problem is there will always be accidents. Accidents won't go away just because everything is computer controlled. And the thing with people is, when an accident occurs and someone dies, they always want someone to blame. Who do you blame when the car is computer controlled? People would sue manufacturers for it I'm sure. And manufacturers aren't going to want that.

Brian

CheapSlider said:
Are you trying for the DARPA Urban Challenge ?

"a prize competition for driverless cars.. to create the first fully autonomous ground vehicles capable of completing a substantial off-road course within a limited time"
No...i really dont know about the challenge...i just want to make something which strikes my mind first...i know its crazy but sometimes it helps...

All depends on what size vehicle you want to guide and at what speed.

If its a mockup model then just use a line following car. You could also print the line as a dashed line with varying length dashes to indicate to the vehicle what speed it should be moving at i.e. short dashes make the car travel slower while longer dashes make the car go quicker.

CheapSlider said:
Are you trying for the DARPA Urban Challenge ?

"a prize competition for driverless cars.. to create the first fully autonomous ground vehicles capable of completing a substantial off-road course within a limited time"
Heh, DARPA.

Tell them to code software for their tanks themselves. :p

Here's a Smart Car.
**broken link removed**

Hero999 said:
Here's a Smart Car.
**broken link removed**

You forgot to mention the scout. He's out to lunch which you can easily see by the nearby parked bicycle. :D

can one make line tracking robot take turns at a junction where two paths are possible.

emmawatson said:
can one make line tracking robot take turns at a junction where two paths are possible.

As you're programming it, you can make it do whatever you want - but you would probably need to design both the robots sensors, and the junction, specifically to do so.

emmawatson said:

Of course one can make! Just google the robot lawnmower. It turns just right to mow a clean pattern onto the lawn. Modifying it a bit, you'll have a robot which turns the right way even if three paths are possible.

Will be quite costly though and you'll supposedly have to convince the local traffic authorities of the need for inductive lines underneath the asphalt. :)

This system has already been in use in car production facilities for years. The raw car bodies travel on a vehicle to different stations where the doors are mounted and the struts in the roofs are welded. They follow the same track for a while and divert from it to a vacant station where the workers stick their fingers up their noses to have them busy. (comparable with a fully automated railroad system)

Boncuk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Back